Re: The Sims 4 Resolution Issue

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

The Sims 4 Resolution Issue

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hey there everyone, 

So I'm having a bit of a weird issue. I've always run the Sims 4 in 1920x1080. Then today, when I went to record the game for my channel I noticed in OBS that the screen was no longer fitting to what I had it set to. I went into the Sims 4 settings, and I no longer have the option to change it to 1920x1080. I looked it up, and I went into the options.ini and set the resolution height and width to the correct dimensions, saved it. Then when I go back into the Sims 4, in order to change it. It still doesn't appear, and then I go back to the options.ini and it reverts back to normal again. I'm not sure why it's doing that, but any help on how to get it back to 1920x1080, would be really appreciated. 

--TheeDrewGamer

Edit: I did some more searching, and it said to remove the options.ini from the the sims 4 folder. In order for it to generate a new one. I then booted into the game, and I got an error message stating this 

'Unrecognized video card, your video card was not found in our database. Your graphicvs settings have been set as high as possible, but you may wish to reduce them if you are experiencing poor performance'

I have recently upgraded my graphics card, to something new. I never got this message before, so I'm not sure why it's doing this now. 

Message 1 of 8 (3,829 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@TheeDrewGamer 

Please post a DxDiag. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the txt file directly to your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 8 (3,811 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi JpKarlsen

I have attached a DxDiag, but the issue is that my graphics card just isn't recognised and I'm having to go through and edit the GraphicsCard.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr. I don't know what I'm doing in the Graphics Rule one, there is no instructions on how to do it for the sims 4 just the sims 3, and it's not the same coding in there, so I don't know what I need to change.

Message 3 of 8 (3,807 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@TheeDrewGamer 

Please see this thread. Do not change GraphicsRules.sgr.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/PLEASE-READ-Unrecognized-Video-Card/m-p/7600944/highli...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 8 (3,789 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Ok, so it's just the GraphicsCards.sgr that needs changing. The thing with that is, that the GTX 1660 Ti is already there, but it doesn't have the same Dev ID as mine. So I added it in, and I'm still not getting the right resolutions. I just removed the options.ini and booted the game, and it's not coming up with the unrecognised video card message any more. But I don't understand, why I can't get it back to 1920x1080.

Edit: Basically what appears to be happening, is that every time the game boots. It resets the options.ini, and it doesn't register my changes.

Message 5 of 8 (3,785 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Please try to do a repair of the game in Origin.

Message 6 of 8 (3,770 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Ok, I tried the repair but it's still doing it Frown It just won't let me change it to 1920x1080.

Also thank you for all your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Edit: It's a display issue. Previously I had two monitors set up, one with HDMI and one with VGA. The HDMI monitor was capable of going to 1920x1080, but it was set to lower. However with the new graphics card it has 3 display ports and 1 HDMI. I had an issue with the display to hdmi wire, so a friend gave me a hdmi to vga for the second monitor. And I used the display to hdmi for the big monitor, but now it's made it so I can't put it to 1920x1080.

Edit 2: I made a custom resolution, that allowed me to keep the monitor at it's correct one but allows me to change the Sims 4 to 1920x1080. Thank god for that.

Message 7 of 8 (3,766 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Glad you found a solution.

Message 8 of 8 (3,714 Views)