Re: The Sims 4 'Not responding' + desktop.ini file in mod folder?

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

The Sims 4 'Not responding' + desktop.ini file in mod folder?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I'm trying to start up The Sims 4 but after the whole 'maxis' loading screen stuff the game gets stuck on the screen that says 'The Sims 4'. At the corner of the window, it says 'not responding'. I looked it up and tried all of the methods that claim to solve my problem. I waited it out, restarted my computer, updated my computer, repaired the game, updated the game, tested to see which mod folders worked and what didn't, and anything else you can think of. The thing is, it worked PERFECTLY yesterday. I use that one Mod Conflict Detector and I found out that there was a desktop.ini file in one of my mod folders? I'm not even sure what that is. I searched for the file using the explorer search function but nothing came up. I even manually looked through the folder and there was nothing called 'desktop.ini' there. I took out all of my mods once and it worked fine, but with ANY mods folder in it, it won't finish loading. I don't know if it's because of that mysterious 'desktop.ini' file or if mods in general are the issue. Help?

Edit: I found out that I had a Sims 3 mod file in my game but even after I removed it, I still have no luck.

Message 1 of 6 (5,482 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@hypercorruption  Do you have file explorer swt to display hidden files? As mods and cc are not controlled by EA and it is up to the creators to keep their creations up to date and working properly. Did you try the game with all cc and mods removed?

Message 2 of 6 (5,476 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Butterish @roberta591
Maybe it will be work. For me it always worked.
Remove the entire The Sims 4 folder to the desktop. The game will create a new clean game folder.
Repair the game on Origin,
Check if you still have this problem,
If the game works, delete the new saves folder and Tray folder from the new game folder, Next copy the Tray folder and save folder from the old game and paste them into the new game folder,
The last step is paste old mods folder but I think that one of your mods caused this problem. Maybe better is check it once more,
I don't work for EA . I'm only player who tries to help other players

Message 3 of 6 (5,471 Views)

★★ Novice

File explorer swt? Can you recommend me one? And yes, I have tried it. Without any mods, it works fine. With any mod at all (even just one file) it ceases to load. 

Message 4 of 6 (5,457 Views)

★★ Pro

@hypercorruption

It sounds like the issue may be that there is some outdated mods or custom content. Sounds like you've already tested the theory. - Just in case, a how to test is in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

To test this, move the mods folder to the desktop, delete the game cache and the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder to help with troubleshooting.

How to Delete Cache Files
https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Launch the game again, try playing a new save to test. If it loads and plays okay, it may be that some of the mods/cc have become outdated.

To fix mods and custom content try the 50/50 method:

1. Move all the mods and cc out into a temporary folder on the desktop.
2. Move a few files back at a time. Load the game to make sure it loads and everything is good.
3. Delete the localthumbcache.package from the Sims 4 folder.
4. Repeat steps 1 - 3 till there is no more files to check.

** While your testing, don't save the game. If you find any problems, delete the mod or custom content file.

How To Find Problem Mods and CC - http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS4_Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

Message 5 of 6 (5,439 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@hypercorruption

desktop.ini is a hidden file used by Windows. It is supposed to be there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 6 of 6 (5,430 Views)