Re: The Sims 4 Legacy Edition keeps installing

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

The Sims 4 Legacy Edition keeps installing

★ Novice

My computer keeps downloading the Sims 4 legacy edition. I have selected to run the 64 bit edition in Origin several times. It doesn't save it.  I even uninstalled the whole game and reinstalled. It was listed in my downloads when reinstalling so I closed that one out. I opened The Sims 4 to play just now and it has downloaded it again. I have to keep hitting repair or uninstalling and reinstalling. How can I make it stop?

Message 1 of 2 (830 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 Legacy Edition keeps installing

@dakbroomgirl  If you have automatic game updates enabled in Origin, the app will constantly try to download the Legacy Edition even after you cancel it.  To see the setting, hover over your username, select Application Settings, and under Application (the first header), scroll down to Client update.

However, even with this setting disabled, Origin may still try to download the LE the first time you launch the game after reinstalling, or after you update the game or clear Origin's cache.  I've noticed that this starts when I get to the Main Menu, so I just alt-tab to Origin and cancel the pack download there.

Because of how inconvenient it is to block, many people don't bother to try to keep the LE from being installed.  Origin should in theory always run the 64-bit version regardless of whether the LE is installed.  Origin instead switching to 32-bit is a separate issue.  It's possible that the file that's supposed to hold your selection is corrupt, and in that case clearing Origin's cache should help:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

It's also possible that your antivirus program is blocking or even deleting TS4_x64.exe, which runs the 64-bit version of the game.  When it isn't present or can't be used, Origin will switch to 32-bit; repairing restores the .exe.  So try repairing again (after clearing Origin's cache) to put back the .exe if it's gone, then set exceptions for it and Origin.exe in your antivirus.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (813 Views)