Re: The Sims 4 Error

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 Error

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

so in trying to launch the sims 4, i get this error (see attached photo) basically saying that data is broken or missing or to uninstall mods. 

ive reinstalled the game multiple times, ive never used mods for the sims 4 (dont even have a mods folder), ive used the "repair" tool on origin, and ive tried renaming the sims 4 folder to something else but then origin doesnt recognize that the sims is installed.

Message 1 of 4 (371 Views)

Accepted Solution

@venqu18  When you renamed the Sims 3 folder, it sounds like you renamed the one that contains the game's program files, not the one that contains user data.  The latter, the one you want to rename or move, is in Documents > Electronic Arts, but it will only exist if you've already launched the game once and haven't moved or deleted that folder since then.

So if you do have a Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, please rename it or move it to your desktop and try again to launch the game.  If that doesn't work, or you don't have the folder, please clear Origin's cache and repair again.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If that doesn't help either, please check the location of your Documents directory.  Open a File Explorer window, right-click on the Documents entry in the left panel, and select Properties > Location.  The location listed should be this:

C:\Users\[your username]\Documents

with the username matching the one you enter when signing into Windows.  If you see something else, or OneDrive is in the file path, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (345 Views)

All Replies

@venqu18  When you renamed the Sims 3 folder, it sounds like you renamed the one that contains the game's program files, not the one that contains user data.  The latter, the one you want to rename or move, is in Documents > Electronic Arts, but it will only exist if you've already launched the game once and haven't moved or deleted that folder since then.

So if you do have a Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, please rename it or move it to your desktop and try again to launch the game.  If that doesn't work, or you don't have the folder, please clear Origin's cache and repair again.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If that doesn't help either, please check the location of your Documents directory.  Open a File Explorer window, right-click on the Documents entry in the left panel, and select Properties > Location.  The location listed should be this:

C:\Users\[your username]\Documents

with the username matching the one you enter when signing into Windows.  If you see something else, or OneDrive is in the file path, let me know.

Message 2 of 4 (346 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict okay so ive cleared the cache for EA and tried renaming the sims 4 folder. but when i rename it, the EA app doesnt recognize that the sims 4 is installed. and EA and the sims arent installed on my C drive. i have them installed on another. but when i go into my users folder there is an EA desktop folder with not much in it.
Message 3 of 4 (327 Views)

@venqu18  I am not talking about the folder where you installed Sims 4, I'm talking about the user folder which will land in Documents > Electronic Arts after you successfully launch the game for the first time.  It doesn't matter where you installed Sims 4; the game will always look in the Documents directory for a user folder and create a new one if it doesn't already exist.

If you don't see a Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, or you don't have an Electronic Arts folder at all, that means that the folder hasn't been created yet or has been removed.  In that case, there's nothing to rename or move.  This has nothing to do with the game's program files; you should absolutely not mess with the Sims 4 folder that contains those files.

Please clear Origin's cache, not the cache for the EA App, and repair the game in Origin again.  Then try to launch the game through Origin, not through the EA App.  Let me know whether you get the same error and also whether or not you've found a Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts at any point.

Message 4 of 4 (306 Views)