Re: The Sims 3 won't launch, instead opens EA app - Windows 11

by blooobagooo

Original Post

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict I repaired the game in EA and limited the CPU once again and got the same service initialization error message. I reinstalled Origin, and when the app opened after installation it showed me a blank screen with a series of bulletpoints to the left side. When I closed it and tried to start it again, it says "Origin installation requires internet connection, but we were unable to connect to the internet," although I have a strong connection and everything else is running smoothly. Following the factory reset on my laptop, all expansion packs I've installed are currently there.
Message 11 of 18 (1,574 Views)

@blooobagooo  It sounds like you're one of the players who can't use Origin, which is unfortunate since Origin would make troubleshooting easier.  Instead, please do a clean uninstall and reinstall of Sims 3:

• Put aside your Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts (if you have one) and rename it to something that doesn't include the words "Sims 3."
  • Download Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine) from here.
  • Launch Revo, select Sims 3 from the list, and click Uninstall.
  • Once the game is uninstalled, select "Moderate" under "scanning modes," and click Scan.
  • Review the list, in case there's something you want to save; otherwise, click Select All, and then Delete.
  • Close Revo, and restart your computer.

When you go to reinstall Sims 3, create a new folder on your computer, at the root of the drive of your choice.  For example, C:\Games is fine, but not C:\Program Files\Games.  Install Sims 3 into that folder; you can just install the base game if you'd like to save time.  Then try to play while applying the Task Manager method for fixing the Alder Lake issue.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 18 (1,571 Views)

★ Apprentice

I went ahead and followed your steps up until restarting my computer because I noticed that The Sims 3 and World Adventures were still showing in the Revo uninstaller (it deleted other expansion packs that I had installed). Could this be affecting it, and should I try uninstalling it again before proceeding with reinstalling the game? 

Message 13 of 18 (1,562 Views)

@blooobagooo  Yes, please get rid of all of that before reinstalling.

Message 14 of 18 (1,545 Views)

★ Apprentice

I downloaded the free version of Revo and uninstalled all games and expansion packs following your instructions, then restarted my computer. When I reinstalled Sims through Origin, I set the install location to C:/games (folder I created). I tried playing the game by limiting it to one CPU again and hitting the play button in the launcher, but I'm getting the same "Service initialization failed" error. 

Message 15 of 18 (1,508 Views)

★ Apprentice
@blooobagooo @puzzlezaddict I also want to note that I applied LadyDuchess's Alder Lake patch to TS3.exe in its new location after this, and limited it to one CPU as I launched, and still got the error message.
Message 16 of 18 (1,505 Views)

@blooobagooo  I'm sorry to say, I'm running out of ideas here.  But one thing I'm curious about is if you get the same error message when you do NOT apply the Alder Lake patch.  You can repair Sims 3 within the EA App to revert the change.  Please try both while applying the Task Manager method and not: I'd like to know whether the service initialization error shows up in both cases, or only one, or neither.  This is partly a timing thing: if the Alder Lake error happens first, you should only see the service initialization error when the Alder Lake issue is addressed but not otherwise.

Please also let me know if you use any kind of cleaner app on your computer, and if so, whether you run it manually or it runs automatically.

Message 17 of 18 (2,324 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Some good news: I tried playing the game before repairing it and while applying the Task Manager method to confirm that I would get the name service initialization error and for the first time, it worked. It also worked when I tried playing a second time. I'll update this thread and follow what you said here if anything changes, but thank you so much for taking the time to help with the issue!

I also don't use any cleaner app.
Message 18 of 18 (1,479 Views)