Re: The Sims 3 ultimate fix patch for version 1.69 final version

by mcmike89

Original Post

The Sims 3 ultimate fix patch for version 1.69 final version

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

During gameplay, when I use edge scrolling to move around the world in live mode. I see some weird screen tearing when moving the camera left and right. Is there a ultimate fix patch someone made that can fix this issue and many more other bugs as well? It would save a lot of time so the game can run more smoothly and better on my Windows 10 Home 64-bit Alienware laptop.

P.S. I have V-Sync turned on, it doesn't work though.

Message 1 of 9 (5,221 Views)

@mcmike89  You may have v-sync on, but you can try fiddling with the settings, for example switching from "on" to "adaptive."  The Control Panel settings don't always work though, and never work in windowed mode.  Check your in-game fps to make sure it is in fact locked to the refresh rate of your screen:  Bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-c) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  The number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.  ("fps off" makes it go away.)  If it's running too high, you can add Nvidia Inspector (free download) to the mix—I'm guessing your Alienware has an Nvidia card?—to see if it helps.  Settings for Inspector are in this post, under the second spoiler:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Since you're on patch 1.69, be sure to use TS3.exe, not the one with the W in it, to set up the profiles.

You can also try switching between fullscreen and windowed modes, again with Inspector in the picture since CP won't work.  If windowed mode is better, you can use the Windowed Borderless app, which works very well with TS3.

You can also try RivaTuner Statistics Server.  It often helps with screen tearing on a variety of cards.  Unlike the other tools, it does need to be running while you play.  Using it is pretty straightforward, but let me know if you want a screenshot.

As for the bugs and glitches... no, there's no patch forthcoming, now or probably ever.  TS3 has been out of development for over five years now.  Many of us just use mods for most of the issues and try to avoid the others.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (5,201 Views)

★ Apprentice
I'm running the Sims 3 on my Alienware laptop using Windows 10 Home 64-bit and my video card I'm using is an "Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M". V-Sync and Triple Buffering don't work on or off. For my specific model of my video card, what settings should I change instead or do you have any suggestions I can try to at least minimize the issue?
Message 3 of 9 (5,108 Views)

@mcmike89  I take it you've still been using the built-in Control Panel?  (V-sync and triple buffering are both features of CP.)  It's the first tool to try since it comes already installed with your graphics card driver, but it isn't always the most reliable one to use.  You can instead try Nvidia Inspector, which is a free download, and use it to explicitly cap fps at your screen's refresh rate.  Settings for Inspector are in the same post I linked earlier.

If that doesn't work, try RivaTuner Statistics Server, which works with any card and in windowed as well as fullscreen mode..  Again, use TS3.exe to create a profile for the game, and set the proper fps limit.  Unlike CP and Inspector, RTSS does need to be running while you play, so be sure minimize it rather than closing it entirely.  If you need a screenshot, let me know, but it's a pretty straightforward app to use.

Also, be sure to click the download link about halfway down the page, not the one in the upper right corner, which will be some kind of ad if you don't have an adblocker.

Message 4 of 9 (5,094 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

RivaTuner Statistics Server, Nvida Inspector and Nvidia Control Panel didn't work. But thank you anyway. So, do I need to upgrade my Dell E248WFP which is my monitor model. The maximum refresh rate I get is 60HZ and nothing more. Should I upgrade to a gaming desktop monitor of either 120HZ or 144HZ to get better performance? I'm thinking it's my monitor that can't keep up with the game if my GPU can run the game just fine without any other issues.

Message 5 of 9 (5,068 Views)

@mcmike89  Is your fps locked at 60, or is it still running excessively high?  If it's fine, but you're still seeing screen tearing, try running both RTSS and Nvidia Control Panel, with v-sync set to On, or to Adaptive if On doesn't work.  If these don't help, try Inspector and RTSS (separately is fine) in windowed mode.  If that works but you don't like the size of the window, you can download Windowed Borderless Gaming instead.

A couple of other questions:  Do you use GeForce Experience, or any other app that's supposed to optimize gaming?  And what build is your OS, i.e. not just Windows 10 but version 1809?

Message 6 of 9 (5,056 Views)

★ Apprentice

How do you lock your fps at 60? I pretty much did everything you mentioned there sadly, sorry. I do use Geforce Experience and I did optimize the Sims 3 using it's optimization settings. It didn't work either. I tried Windowed Borderless Gaming as well. Didn't fix my problem. My build for my OS is Windows 10 Home version 1903 (OS Build 18362.267)

Message 7 of 9 (5,050 Views)

@mcmike89  Okay, there are two separate issues here.  The first is your fps, as in, is it locked to the refresh rate of your monitor, or is it running excessively high?  Please check your in-game fps while using each tool—Nvidia Control Panel (with v-sync set to On, and again with it set to Adaptive), CP plus Nvidia Inspector, and CP plus RTSS.  Please switch between fullscreen and windowed modes for each as well.

I looked up the monitor you mentioned, and reports differ as to whether its refresh rate is 60 or 75 Hz.  You can try setting the fps limit at 75 if 60 doesn't work, both for Inspector and for RTSS.

To see your in-game framerates, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.  Move the camera around and watch the number.  Let me know what it looks like, or the range if it's running in the hundreds.

For both Inspector and RTSS, please be sure to set the profiles for TS3.exe, since you have an Origin/1.69 install.  Please disable GeForce Experience as well, at least for now.

When you're testing RTSS, be sure to leave it running in the background.  You can minimize it to the tray, but don't X it out, or else it won't work.

The other issue is whether you're seeing screen tearing or not.  For each of these tests, please let me know whether it's there, and whether it's present all the time or just when you move the camera around.

Message 8 of 9 (5,032 Views)

★ Apprentice

I just updated Windows 10 Home 64-bit to OS Build 18362.295 I wonder if that will fix my problem?

Message 9 of 9 (5,024 Views)