Re: The Sims 3 on Windows 8 - Won't Finish Installing

by camerond_523

Original Post

The Sims 3 on Windows 8 - Won't Finish Installing

★★★ Newbie

Hi there!

I'm having some trouble installing The Sims 3 on my Windows 8 computer. I previously had the game installed, but due to some major performance issues, I had to reset my PC, and I lost the game in the process.  It's been a couple of months since the reboot, and everything is running smoothly, but when I tried to install The Sims 3, it failed. The installation process starts off perfectly fine, albeit a bit slow, but it works and the game begins installing. Every file is put into place (again, albeit slowly) and the progress bar gets to about 90% completion after about twenty minutes, and the little overhead text bar says "The InstallWizard is now installing The Sims 3" or something along those lines. The icon appears on my desktop, but the game won't finish installing. I waited five, ten, eventually twenty minutes and still no result, bringing the total time spent trying to install the game to roughly forty minutes! That's the longest period of time I've ever waited for a game to finish installing, but I was not rewarded for my patience, and I eventually had to cancel the installation using task manager because the installer's 'Cancel' button was highlighted gray and wouldn't let me click it and the 'X' button in the top right of the window wouldn't work. I immediately sent the desktop icon to the recycle bin and deleted it, took out the disk, placed it back in and began the process anew in hopes of the second time being the charm, but the same thing happened.

I'm pretty confused and pretty frustrated. Help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5 (268 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@camerond_523 I would suggest doing a manual uninstall first to make sure that it didn't actually install anything: http://help.ea.com/za/article/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

Then try downloading and installing it digitally: 

• Download the Origin client http://origin.com/download
  • Register your game if it isn't already registered by going through redeem product code in the Origin dropdown menu
  • Go to your My Games
  • Download

Let me know how it goes Standard smile

Message 2 of 5 (255 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm browsing through the instructions but after the "Delete The Game Files" section, I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there an easier solution?

Message 3 of 5 (249 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I also tried using Origin to download the game using the code from the box, and I got a message saying that the code had already ben used. What is going on?

EDIT: I'm going to try with the physical copies again. I hope it works this time.

Message 4 of 5 (245 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well, I'll be darned! It worked. The game's been installed and is running fine. Must've been a problem with my computer that day. Sorry for troubling you.

Message 5 of 5 (240 Views)