The Sims 3 .net framework 3.5 problem

by naweeya

Original Post

The Sims 3 .net framework 3.5 problem

★★★ Newbie

For these past few months I have been trying to install The Sims 3 on Origin. I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall but not luck. Problem is: When clicking on The Sims 3 I get a Microsoft box 'Windows Features requirement of net framework 3.5.' I have seen online forums people posting on EA help.com that people didn't need to install the 3.5 net framework. Any advice would be great as I am preparing for the move to the EA APP.

Computer ASUS Gaming Laptop Windows 11.

-Australia.

Message 1 of 19 (2,661 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 .net framework 3.5 problem

[ Edited ]

@naweeya  Sims 3 definitely requires .NET Framework 3.5 whether you're playing through Origin or the EA App (or disc or Steam).  Normally, Windows would install it as the game calls for it without the user needing to do anything except agree to it.  It sounds like you might be getting this prompt, and if so, just accept it.

Or you can install manually.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes, then click "Turn Windows features on or off."  .NET 3.5 should be at the top of the list.  If the box next to it is empty, click it to install, and when it's finished, restart your computer.  If the box is filled, that means it's already installed.  Click the box to uninstall, restart your computer, then install is as above and restart again.

If this doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 19 (2,642 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello, 

I am facing a similar issue with Windows 11 and have followed your steps by running the appwiz.cpl, clicked the box for 3.5 but receive an error message when windows attempts to download the relevant files. The error code is 0x80240023. Is this because internet explorer is retired? I am unable to download or activate Framework 3.5 and downloaded newer versions but without luck getting the sims 3 to run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 19 (1,733 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ddgraham  This is usually a system issue: .NET Framework 3.5 should install fine on even a fully-updated Windows.  So please run a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Try installing .NET 3.5 again, and if that doesn't work, try a repair install:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/repair-install-windows-11-with-an-in-place-upgrade.418/

This shouldn't erase any of your data, but if you get to step 14 and are NOT asked whether you want to keep your apps and files, back out and start over.

Message 4 of 19 (1,726 Views)

★★ Novice

hi i'm literally having the same problem as the guy above and ive tried most of ur solutions but it still doesn't work. its just when i try the repair install, the button in the 3rd step doesnt appear. what to do, please?

Message 5 of 19 (570 Views)

@Mikey009556  Use Option Two in the guide rather than Option One.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.  Please also let me know exactly what error you're seeing, if any, when trying to open Sims 3.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 6 of 19 (541 Views)

★★ Novice

yeah none of the options above worked. so i bought the sims 3 for the first time and whenever i try to launch it, a pop up appears saying i have to download net framework 3.5, so when i try to download it i get an error message. 

Message 7 of 19 (530 Views)

@Mikey009556  I do think you need to run a repair install, but your C drive doesn't have enough space to download a Windows 11 ISO.  Please clear another 20 GB or so, in whatever way works for you.  Your D drive has plenty of free space, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

If option two for the repair install still doesn't work, please let me know exactly how it doesn't work: what step you're on, any error message you get, etc.  I've seen this exact .NET error before, and the repair install was the only fix short of reinstalling Windows, which I'm sure you don't want to do.

Message 8 of 19 (526 Views)

★★ Novice

How do I free up space? I've already deleted unimportant stuff and only freed up 1GB

Message 9 of 19 (516 Views)

@Mikey009556  Move important stuff to D, temporarily.  You can't move applications there by dragging and dropping, but for example you can move the contents of Photos or Documents.  If C is full of applications, uninstall a few for now; you can reinstall them later.

Look through the Downloads folder too: you may have leftover installers or .zip files that are no longer needed.

Message 10 of 19 (498 Views)