Re: The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

★★★ Newbie

So, my Sims 3 starts and then on the second loading screen, it shuts down. I've read articles and they say it's because of the Data Execution Prevention, however I went in it and followed all of the instructions and the files that they told me to add to the list aren't there. I don't know why but nothing is under the bin file. I figured this was because I haven't started/ saved a game yet but I can't, because I can't even get into the game. It stops before I can. So what do I do? I have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop. I read the game requirements and I'm pretty sure I meet all of the requirements. I have 4 expansion packs installed, but I went and got my computer fixed and reset. I used to have The Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, and Showtime (Katy Perry) installed. But when I got my laptop back I decided to not install Late Night again because I didn't really like it. Currently I have The Sims 3, Ambitions, Pets, Showtime, and Island Paradise installed. Could that be the problem?

Message 1 of 10 (3,093 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

★★★ Newbie

Omg me toooooo Frown

I fixedthe Data Execution problem and then having the shut down during character customization screen instead of the loading screens. This like you started happening ever since I got the Island Paradise Expansion.

I really hope we can get a fix to this problem or at least some suggestions..   Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 2 of 10 (2,924 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

★★★★ Novice

This happens more often if you have the story progression option selected. Go to options, click "advanced demographics options" (its the last tab) and unselect Story progression option. It may shut down a few more times as it does what I like to call a flush and then it stops shutting down so much. This may not solve the issue for you but it worked for me. 

Message 3 of 10 (2,911 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows

★★★ Newbie

What did you do to fix this issue?  I have no clue what to do Frown

Message 4 of 10 (2,504 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows

Hero

@jssl10 It's best if you open your own thread, describing your issue in as many details as possible

Here's some guidelines: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/READ-FIRST-Help-us-Helpers-to-Help-you/td-p/255562/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 10 (2,497 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working

★★★ Newbie

Did anyone ever find a good fix for this problem. I see it goes back years. Im also getting a message saying Sims 3 has stopped working. Never had that before untill i upgraded to windows 10. 

Message 6 of 10 (1,922 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the exact same laptop and I am also experiencing problems playing the Sims 3 that I've been using via my Origin account for years now. The game keeps shutting down after a few minutes of play time. I even went in and tried to set the data execution prevention for all the game files.

Message 7 of 10 (1,798 Views)

★★★ Novice
Message 8 of 10 (1,387 Views)

★★ Novice

I know after six years a reply from this thread is a long shot... My story progression is always unchecked, but it still shuts my friggen game with the same damn message "The Sims 3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working..."

Message 9 of 10 (993 Views)

@prn58  Yes, this thread is quite old, and I doubt any of the original participants are around to reply.  But if you provide a few more details, I can try to help.  When does the game crash: when loading (and on which screen), when you've been playing for a while, when you enter CAS or Build/Buy; or is it random?  Have you tested a fresh save, and if so, do you get the same result?  What world(s) are you currently playing in?

It would also be helpful if you could run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 10 of 10 (980 Views)