The Sims 3 freezes or makes the GPU freeze?

by helcaraxx

Original Post

The Sims 3 freezes or makes the GPU freeze?

★ Novice

I have just installed Sims 3 for the first time (and the world adventures) and the game freezes about 10 min after starting to play. Game doesn't really crash as in it doesn't shut down or give me an error message. Everything in the game just freezes while the cursor and windows are still running normally. I have tried to fix everything related to the graphics cards. The game recognises the cards and I have limited the fps but that didn't seem to help. While the game actually functions it doesn't seem to have any performance issues even though i put the settings high (and low to try out). The way it freezes seems like the GPU would freeze but I don't know how to fix that? All other games I have run well. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Message 1 of 3 (511 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 freezes or makes the GPU freeze?

@helcaraxx  Thanks for the deviceconfig; it confirms that you did the .sgr edits correctly, and that TS3 is using the Nvidia card rather than... an Intel Graphics 530?  (I had to look it up.)  Anyway, I'd like to see a deviceconfig as well, just to see if there are any obvious errors or other issues that might need to be addressed.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

In the meantime, a useful test is to try to play with no internet connection at all, as in, disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord.  Let me know whether it freezes.  Please also repeat the test with a clean game folder, if you haven't already:  Pull your entire TS3 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop so that the game has to create a new one.

If you notice any pattern to when the freezing happens, let me know as well.  At the very least, I'm curious whether it's during Create a Sim or live play (or something else), whether you've tried to travel, and whether you've installed any mods or custom content.  Also, it sounds like you're playing in windowed mode?  Try fullscreen (or if you're in fullscreen, try windowed) just to see whether it makes a difference.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (490 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 freezes or makes the GPU freeze?

★ Novice

think I have found the reason the game froze and it's because I made a really stupid mistake! I installed the game files on my D drive and because of my naming method the program game files and the other game files like game saves where mixed in the same folder! I don't know how I didn't realise this but now after reinstalling them in separate folders I was able to play without any freeze or lag at least an hour (I quit after that) so I assume that the problem is fixed. Thanks so much for trying to help me with this problem!

Message 3 of 3 (459 Views)