The Sims 3 Stops Responding & Crashes 5 Minutes into Live Mode

by dentfaceah

Original Post

Re: The Sims 3 Stops Responding & Crashes 5 Minutes into Live Mode

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the response, and thanks for your hard work on this @puzzlezaddict (and @Holger1405!)

I already did a clean install of my graphics driver about a day before making this thread. I followed this guide: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10/kw/remove and it didn't really do anything. Is this sufficient? Seems somewhat identical to what you're describing, just without the custom program to do the uninstall. I did the clean install afterward.

Do you think I should do it again with the program you mentioned? Would that be necessary?

Message 11 of 52 (910 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dentfaceah  A Control Panel uninstall will leave behind some files from the driver, which is why the DDU apps were created.  These leftover files might not be the issue, but for the sake of being thorough, it's best to remove them anyway.  If it doesn't help, at least we'll know the driver isn't the problem.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 52 (893 Views)

@dentfaceah  Sorry for the double-post, but I have another question.  Your first dxdiag showed a couple of BSOD (bluescreen) errors.  Do you remember the circumstances when those happened?  As in, what you were doing, what was open at the time, how long the apps had been running, etc.  It would be good to know, especially if the clean install of the graphics driver doesn't help.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 13 of 52 (870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Okay, @puzzlezaddict. Here's the rundown:

Did the fresh uninstall and reinstall via your instructions. Everything went well except when I installed, "ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software" wasn't an option. The "HD audio driver" was checked by default and it wouldn't let me uncheck it. I doubt that'll make a difference, but I figured it'd be best to put it all on the table.

Went into TS3, played around. Switching the tabs didn't cause an immediate freeze/crash like before, but the game did eventually stop responding, as per usual, 2 min later while loading a residential lot.

For the blue screen errors, I have to say, I don't recall any recently. There was one like 6 months ago, and I don't remember the circumstances.

There was a graphics driver issue that I've been having on and off recently though with another game (like 1-2 times a month). This specifically: https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17615272701.

My whole monitor would freeze, nothing would be clickable, then a black screen would flash, and the game would have crashed with that specific error. Everything functioned fine afterward and the game ran just fine after I relaunched it. This usually would happen when there's a lot of action on the screen, and only 3+ hours into running the application. At the same time, I probably had Discord open, as well as Google Chrome.

But I'd wager that issue is due to overheating, and hasn't happened again since I adjusted my fans.

Outside of that and the current TS3 issue, I have had no issues with other games whatsoever.

Message 14 of 52 (863 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @dentfaceah 

You already, unnecessarily ( @puzzlezaddict  Wink ) heard of me.

I would like you to test a few things.

1. Set your "User DPI Setting" to 100% (96 DPI). > Test the Game.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-change-dpi-scaling-level-displays-windows-10-a.html

2. Please disable "Origin in game" > Test the Game.

4. Set your Monitor to 60Hz refresh rate. > Test the Game.
    RR.png

5. Preform a clean boot and test the Game in clean boot mode.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 15 of 52 (831 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi! @puzzlezaddict & @holger1405:

1. Changed DPI back to 100%, game still crashed.

2. Disabled Origin in-game, still crashed.

3. Both the Nvidia Control Panel and Windows system settings only gave 1 option, 75Hz, so I wasn't able to change it.

4. Did the clean boot, game still crashed.

Message 16 of 52 (816 Views)

@dentfaceah 

OK, we need a few things:

First the "InstallLog.txt" You can find it under ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\__Installer"

Load it up like the DxDiag.

Second, a crash dump of the game.

• Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • In the new Window, type or copy and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" (Without the quotation marks) > Press ENTER
  • Look if there are any "TS3.exe.Xxxx.dmp" files in the "..Local\CrashDumps" folder.
  • Upload all  TS3.exe dmp file at a free filehoster like Dropbox and post the link here.

If there aren't any dump files of TS3:

• Press the Windows key > Write: Command Prompt > Right click on "Command Prompt" in the search results > Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" (Without the quotation marks at beginning and end of the line, so the quotation marks before HKLM and after devenv.exe need to stay in) into the command prompt Window > Press ENTER.
  • Play the game until it crashes.
  • After the game crashes, let all Windows crash dialogues finish.
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time. > Type "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" (Without the quotation marks) into the new window > Press ENTER.
  • Upload the TS3.exe dmp files at a free filehoster like Dropbox and post the link here.

If you want to undo the automatic dump creation, use the command below in a elevated command prompt (As in point 1) reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 17 of 52 (768 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi, @holger1405. Thanks for your patience. The past few days have been crazy and I haven't gotten the chance to sit down at the computer.

I've attached the installation log to this post.

I followed your instructions for the crash logs, and double checked to make sure I did everything right. I even got "The operation completed successfully." in Command Prompt after pasting in the string you gave. Unfortunately, no logs were generated for TS3.

I suspect this is why:

The game doesn't fully "crash." It just stops responding, and never becomes active again. It'll sit there for hours and hours - I've checked. And eventually I just tell Windows to close the program. Here's an exact example of what I'm talking about:

Sims3StopsResponding.png

Interestingly enough, it froze during a different period today. I had my sim's radio on, and the game kept going through the radio playlist while frozen. No other sounds were played and it was clear the rest of the game was not doing anything.

Any other advice on this?

Message 18 of 52 (734 Views)

@dentfaceah 

No problem, I am very busy as well in the moment.

Could you reproduce the app hang at that specific point?

Did you looked if there are newer sound driver available?

Message 19 of 52 (720 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@holger1405 

Turns out, I did have an audio driver that needed updating. I downloaded and installed the new driver, restarted my computer, tested the game, and I still have the same problem.

I'm unable to replicate the exact instance that this occurred from my last post because this app hang is completely random. It isn't connected to the fact I turned the radio on. The radio just happened to be on at that time.

I've had all sorts of things seem to "trigger" the freezing to the point that I think it's random. I used to think it was caused by loading a lot or several objects all at once, but I can spin around and hop to different points on the town with no issue, and then 5 minutes later have a random freeze.

Any other ideas?

Message 20 of 52 (711 Views)