Re: The Sims 3 Late Night w/ Origin Access

by LittleBrandyLove

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 3 Late Night w/ Origin Access

★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to Origin. Now, I already have The Sims 3 base game installed by disc on my computer. If I purchase Origin Access, it says Late Night is included. Will it be added to my already installed base game or will I have to get the base game starter pack that come with Origin Access also?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5 (1,166 Views)

Accepted Solution

@LittleBrandyLove  With Origin Access, you get the TS3 base game, Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff for no extra charge.  But you don't own them—you're renting for the duration of your Access subscription.  So you'd have to keep paying, or one day you'd login to Origin and not be able to launch your game, and you'd probably have to uninstall TS3 and reinstall the base game via disc to be able to play at all.

Origin is supposed to work well with disc installs, but it doesn't always work that way.  If you did subscribe to Access, you could in theory just download the packs without messing with your base game install.  In practice, it's possible you'd have to uninstall your disc copy and reinstall everything via Origin.  Of course, it would still be free, except for the time and effort you spent.

Also, Origin Access isn't available in mac OS, in case that's relevant.  You can buy it on any platform, but you can only download and play the available games while in Windows.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (1,150 Views)

All Replies

@LittleBrandyLove  With Origin Access, you get the TS3 base game, Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff for no extra charge.  But you don't own them—you're renting for the duration of your Access subscription.  So you'd have to keep paying, or one day you'd login to Origin and not be able to launch your game, and you'd probably have to uninstall TS3 and reinstall the base game via disc to be able to play at all.

Origin is supposed to work well with disc installs, but it doesn't always work that way.  If you did subscribe to Access, you could in theory just download the packs without messing with your base game install.  In practice, it's possible you'd have to uninstall your disc copy and reinstall everything via Origin.  Of course, it would still be free, except for the time and effort you spent.

Also, Origin Access isn't available in mac OS, in case that's relevant.  You can buy it on any platform, but you can only download and play the available games while in Windows.

Message 2 of 5 (1,151 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you. I was thinking about getting Origin Access for multiple games, the pricing is convenient. But Late Night (along with other Sims 3 EPs) is something I know I want permanently (I'm rebuilding my collection, slowly), so I didn't want to assume it coming with the subscription would work the same way as purchasing the game itself. I think I'll just buy LN to ensure no future issues. Would buying it from Origin cause any potential issues or am I better off running to the store and purchasing the disc?

I apologize if these are stupid questions. I've been "out of the game"...literally...for a bit. lol

Message 3 of 5 (1,145 Views)

@LittleBrandyLove  These aren't stupid questions at all; plenty of people have been using discs for TS3 and don't know where to start with Origin.  Besides, it's much better to figure this out before you spend your money.

The biggest reason to buy disc copies instead of digital is that your install wouldn't be tied to Origin.  You could play offline, without signing in, you wouldn't have to deal with the pack selector, and you could skip the launcher entirely if you wanted.  (Google "sims 3 patch 1.69" if you're curious about the issues.)  This is all dependent on your owning a base game disc manufactured before September 2012, but if you don't have to play through Origin now, that wouldn't change when you installed another disc.  (Just make sure not to let the EA Download Manager control the install process, or it will do everything it can to "upgrade" itself to Origin, patch your install to 1.69, and take control of your game.)

But if you install even one pack through Origin, your game gets automatically patched to 1.69, and all the consequences of an Origin install follow.  So if you're buying anything from Origin, you might as well buy everything through the app.  Also, if you already need to launch the game through Origin, it's probably better to just buy and install digitally.

Of course, disc copies of TS3 packs are hard to find.  Places like Walmart and Target still have some inventory, but there's no guarantee that you'd find the packs you want.

The other alternative is Steam.  It sells every pack except Katy Perry, and your patch level on a Steam install would be 1.67, so you'd avoid Origin entirely.  You would have to buy the base game from Steam as well, but during occasional sales (a few times a year), the base game and packs are priced as low as $5 each.  If you ever changed your mind and wanted to go the Origin route, you could take the CD keys that Steam provides with your purchases and register them in Origin, and your content would be added to your game library just like it is when you register a disc.

Message 4 of 5 (1,138 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ah, great. You guys have been very helpful. My game is at 1.67. The Walmart near me still has a pretty good selection in store, right now anyway. Since they're the same price as Origin, I may as well just get the discs. Living in the desert can make my internet connection iffy at times and I definitely don't want my being able to play reliant on my crappy connection to Origin or anything else. 

Thanks again, guys!

Message 5 of 5 (1,129 Views)