[The Sims 3] COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 8

by avery10555

Original Post

Re: [The Sims 3] COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 8

★★★ Newbie

Oh I changed my island paradise compatibility to win 7 Then red a forum bout win 8 working and now I cant change it back... I should have tried to run game after I installed win 8. instead I came straight to forums that said it wont work lol.. HELP ME PLEASE

Message 11 of 31 (17,753 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What? Look, I had the same issue. Just find your sims 3 shortcut (startmenu, desktop, whatever) then right click it.

From the menu select Properties, and then click Compatibility.

Tick the Run this program in compatibily mode for box then select Windows 7 and you should be able to see the landscape again.

Message 12 of 31 (17,509 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Not sure if I may have missed something reading through but I'm running on Win8 64bit with up to date drivers and versions for the game. My problem is that when I run it, it crashes after a few minutes of play. No error messages from the game, just a windows message stating there was an unexpected error. I read something about BtDefender being a problem with its compatibility but maybe there is something else? Please help and thank you in advanced!

Message 13 of 31 (17,330 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Hi,

I have Windows 8.1 64 bit and tried to do what the solved answer described. I'm still having problems launching the game itself. The launcher/updater appears, after pressing the Play button, nothing happens.

Launcher is installed with the latest patch updated for TS3.

Here are my specs if it's required.

Processor: intel core i5-4670 3.40 GHz

RAM: 16GB

VGA: AMD R9 280x GDDR5 3GB

Message 14 of 31 (16,738 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Unfortunately, i can't find these options..what else can i do?

Message 15 of 31 (16,448 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

thank you so much, does this mean it'll totally work? ordered the sims 3 without checking and have been looking for a solution. THANKKKKKSSSSSS XXXXXXXX

Message 16 of 31 (15,557 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi , I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 64bit preinstalled.

I keep trying to download Sims 3 - Disc version - but I keep getting this error message: 

File: D:\Thumbnail\AllThumbnails.package
Error: Incorrect Function

The only optiong are Retry or Cancel. I've retired several times. I've cancelled and tried again and nothing is working, does anyone know how to get around this? 

Thank you!!

Message 17 of 31 (15,522 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi, I tried right clicking the shorcut and going to properties but that compatibility option does not show up for me.

I don't know what to do. Please help!

@rumbutter wrote:

right click the game shortcut icon on your desktop-properties-compatibility-tick the run this programs  as an administrator   -tick the run in compatibility mode for select in the drop down menu select the windows 7 (or xp) click ok you will also need to check each expansion pack and stuff pack icon you have  that you do the same for each one that they have the same compability mode as your base game icon shortcut once you have selected the compatability mode for each one it's a good idea to restart the computer

Message 18 of 31 (15,432 Views)

Hero (Retired)

lets see if the images can help you right click the game shortcut icon on your desktop-properties

Message 19 of 31 (15,429 Views)

★★ Novice

Windows 8.0 x64 - Sims 3 will either crash or it will cause my wife's new Toshiba laptop to do a forced re-start. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3 times with no luck. Sims 3 crashes the OS more than the program itself crashes. I've tried all the compatibility modes, doesn't work. Her laptop has 12GB of RAM, a 2M Cache, 2.40GHz Intel processor and Mobile Intel HM70 Express Chipset with Mobile Intel HD graphics with shared graphics memory. Her laptop has all the Microsoft updates installed. We've tried running some other games that came out before Win 8 and they run perfectly.

I tried installing them on my Win 7 Pro x64 with a Intel 3.1 quad core and 32gb Kingston HyperX RAM and it runs flawlessly.

We have the Sims 3 Starter Pack with Late Night & High End Loft, Supernatural Expansion Pack and Dragon Valley.

Once all are installed, you MUST use the Supernatural disk or NONE of the games will play.

I've read the posts claiming Sims 3 runs on Win 8, but if you read the PC System Requirements, Windows 8 is not listed.

Changing the Compatibility Mode may work on rare occasions, but it is not the norm.

Message 20 of 31 (15,403 Views)