Temporary files saving to My Documents

by simlegacy94

Original Post

Temporary files saving to My Documents

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.72.28.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game while you have sync with OneDrive on I suppose?
What happens when the bug occurs? After playing for a few minutes I get kicked out by a message saying temporary files are to be removed from my OneDrive - do I want to go ahead and delete them? No matter what I do it happens again and again, making the game unplayable. After some research I've figured out that it's because my Sims files (screenshots of houses mostly) are for some reason going into My Documents, which I need to sync to both One Drive and my phone. So now I have thousands of Sims photos in my phone. I've seen others complain about this and the solution was to 'report as a bug' which is what I'm doing. I need a way to stop all these temporary files from dropping into My Documents. I'm sure they never used to! Thix has been an issue for about the past month. Please note - switching off syncing to OneDrive is NOT a solution. I need syncing switched on. This bug shouldn't affect my ability to use OneDrive syncing.
What do you expect to see? The temporary files to not be dropped into My Documents
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

N/a

Message 1 of 6 (575 Views)

Re: Temporary files saving to My Documents

[ Edited ]
Hero

@simlegacy94 The files that are in the user folder have always been in the user folder. This isn't a bug.

Not sure what's going on with onedrive though that temp files are getting deleted WHILE you play.

Screenshots have always gone into myDocuments and aren't really temp files, so I'm confused why they are getting deleted.

have you considered turning off oneDrive for Sims or maybe check the settings so they don't get sync to your phone ?

There's a few folder that get deleted when you close the game which is probably the warning oneDrive gives you but they shouldn't be deleted while you play.

- Cache

- Scratch (in saves)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 6 (547 Views)

★ Novice

@crinrict They're not even screenshots though. Screenshots I could handle because I rarely take any. They're these random images of houses (thousands of them, some of which I haven't even downloaded, I've just favourited them on the gallery!) that must be temporary files because they're going into My Documents and then disappearing, but not before they've synced to OneDrive. This has never been an issue before and I've been playing and downloading houses from the gallery for years

Screenshot_20210424-145828_Photos.jpg

Message 3 of 6 (527 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@simlegacy94 yes, if you surf the gallery, pictures are getting downloaded to your cache folder. They shouldn't get deleted though unless you close the game.

If you browse the gallery, the images you see will get downloaded to your user folder. Don't think that was ever different. 

Have you been using the game on oneDrive before ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 6 (506 Views)

★ Novice
@crinrict It's not OneDrive, my mistake, it's Google Drive. But yes, it's always been set up so that My Documents sync to my Google Drive. It's not new, but this is the first time I've ever had an issue with these gallery pictures getting uploaded to Google Drive. As far as I can see, I can't specify for Google Drive to not import my Sims files since they sit in My Documents. Is there any way I can move these cache files out of My Documents and into a different folder?
Message 5 of 6 (500 Views)

Hero
@simlegacy94 Maybe something changed about google drive ? I don't know how it would work with google drive tbh. The game only ever automatically changes to oneDrive. For google drive you have to set it up yourself, I assume.

The path unfortunately can't be changed for my documents, can't you exclude certain folders ?

Is there any pattern when they get deleted with that message ? When you leave the gallery ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 6 (473 Views)