Re: TSs started crashing after playing normally

by roberta591

Original Post

TSs started crashing after playing normally

★ Novice

I just got a new laptop and matched my video card. The game was runing fine except some flickering when zooming out the towns. Also the movie intro in the game is terrible quality. Yesterday the game started crashing after playing for 5 minutes and there was message: The program has stopped working. I am a computer idiot so please help. I will attach DxDiag.

Message 1 of 5 (456 Views)

@LovroMaza  The first question is whether you've capped your in-game frame rates.  TS3 has no fps limiter of its own, so you need an outside tool.  To see your in-game fps, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-c) and enter "fps on" without the quotes, and a number will pop up in the upper right corner of your screen.  Your fps should never go above the refresh rate of your monitor, which is 60 Hz.  (To make the number go away, enter "fps off.")

For Nvidia cards, the first choice is the built-in control panel.  But it doesn't always work, and never works in windowed mode, so the next one to try would be Nvidia Inspector (free download).  For each, you'd need to use TS3.exe to set up the profile for an Origin install.  Here are screenshots of the setups for both tools:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

It's also possible that TS3 is using your integrated card rather than the dedicated one, which would explain the low graphics quality.  The fps-limiting tools should also force the game to use the Nvidia card, but you can check your deviceconfig to make sure.  The card used will be listed about 30 lines down.

Additionally, while the drivers for your Nvidia card aren't particularly old, there should be newer versions available.  You can download them directly from Lenovo's website.

I recognize some of the entries in your error reports (at the bottom of the dxdiag), but I don't know what to do with a couple of them.  You might need an expert opinion on those; perhaps @roberta591 will have some thoughts.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (444 Views)

★ Novice

Sorry it took me so long to check everything. I did cap (60 Hz). Fps on mode shows 60 or below (the lowest being 56-57). I also did all the steps provided in the link before the game started crashing. I have just rechecked them and it is fine.

Message 3 of 5 (433 Views)

★ Novice
But the game is still crashing. if anybody has more opinions I would appreciate it. Thank you @puzzlezaddict
Message 4 of 5 (426 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@LovroMaza  Have you tried playing yhe game without Magic Mouse? Although it should work Majic Mouse is an Apple product. The audio driver seems to be causing issues - try this - link - solution for audiodg.exe problem  Also try a video bench mark program like 3Dmark (there is a free version) and see if there are issues. It sounds like the game is using the integrated video chip in the I5 cpu or something is draining the cpu. Are you having issues with any other games?

Message 5 of 5 (417 Views)