Re: TS4 no longer launches through GFE, Addn'l question about .exe

by columbia93

Original Post

TS4 no longer launches through GFE, Addn'l question about .exe

★ Guide

Looking at an old thread about someone having issues with a shortcut, which this isn't, it brings up additional questions for me.

First, about 2-3 months ago, an Origin update really messed with my TS4 and TS3 games. The latter began giving me an error message every time I launched, saying I needed to update - which I don't and which is obviously an ERROR - or I could Play without updating. I can choose the Play without Updating and play. I just want the error to go away.

At that same time, I stopped being able to access TS4 via GFE (GeForce Experience). I like this option because I can see my favorite games from both Origin and Steam in the same place, as well as make sure the graphics are maximized - and honestly, it's nicer to look at. Standard smile  Anyway, I started getting the message "Activation Required" when I tried to launch from GFE. Note that I can launch it directly from Origin without any error. 

But here's where my addn'l question comes in. I read on that old thread about the TS4.exe being Legacy and TS4_64 being the regular one. (Sorry, I closed that thread so I don't remember the exact wording.)  This is a new PC as of Sept and I'd never owned TS4 prior  to purchasing it in Dec. I purchased the Deluxe version via Origin. I have both a TS4 and a TS4 Legacy file in my Doc/EA folder and have never understood why because I thought Legacy was for older systems. My PC, Acer Predator, runs Windows 10. My old PC was a Vista and I did have TS3 & Origin running on that but that shouldn't have any bearing on this TS4 issue.

So. for giggles I'd like some clarity on the Legacy thing and if this is something I should or shouldn't have. I've always found it odd that I had that addn'l folder in my TS4 stuff.

But mostly, if there is anyone out there with GFE, it would be terrific if I could find out if I can fix this problem of launching. I don't know if the Legacy thing has anything to do with it. Probably not because I was able to launch from GFE until a couple of months ago. And even though this isn't TS3, if you have any thoughts on that issue, that'd be great, too. I tried the EA Help Chat but they didn't seem to have any idea...

*Note: I've done a hard uninstall/reinstall in both March and April since this issue began happening. Delete folders, clean registry, etc.

ATTACHMENTS BELOW: Errors

Message 1 of 5 (629 Views)

★ Guide

The EA Help Chat desk had the unhelpful idea of doing a clean boot. Considering what the issues are that I'm having, I felt comfortable that it would amount to nothing. I was right. This isn't a problem with the system but a problem with EA/Origin.  But hey, it got me off chat so that nothing was accomplished and they could say it ended. And now they aren't open until Monday, when I'll have to repeat everything all over again as well as add this. SMH

Who are we supposed to go to with technical problems with EA games, as well as Origin itself? If the EA people won't bother with helping us on these forums, and the chat people don't seem to know much of anything (they are in INDIA, for crying out loud, and it's pretty apparent that no matter how well I explained the problem, as well as provided screen shots, they had no clue what was going on, and on 3 separate issues.)

Message 2 of 5 (582 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@columbia93 

GFE Historically has had some problems with launching the Sims 4. You will likely need to wait for NVidia to fix whatever the problem is. It looks to be connected to The sims 4 Legacy Edition After that came out it no longer launch the game in a proper way.

That you have a Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Legacy Edition\ folder means that the Legacy Edition at some point was installed. Perhaps GFE triggered the install of that somehow. To make sure you do not currently run it, open Origin and rightclick the game select Game Properties and on the advanced tab check that it is set to launch 64 bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 3 of 5 (549 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Yeah, Origin opens the 64 bit. Can I uninstall the Legacy edition?

In light of all the other issues I've currently got with Origin - and they keep piling on AND getting weirder - this wrinkle that happened at the same time as the TS3 BS, while not preventing me from playing the game, I've not been happy with not being able to use GFE. I just updated GFE a day or so ago so it appears the problem hasn't be resolved so far. I'm not even sure that the Legacy edition is the problem simply because I actually can launch the game from either .exe but launching from GFE - it recognizes my EA ID but not the game. I couldn't find anywhere on GFE where I could check and/or change the path anyway. I think it still opens TS3 but with the completely bizarre launch issue I'm having with it, I can't be sure!

Thanks for responding. It seem that you know much more about this than the EA Help people!

++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, as an FYI, the files in the Legacy folder say 1/26/2020 - I'm pretty sure I could still launch from GFE at that time but I couldn't say definitely. Like I said, though, I've got some weird goings on with launching games and updates that date back to 3 months, give or take, as well as very, very recently. Origin updates do very bad things to my PC and many times I end up having to hard uninstall/reinstall. I see that I had to do this 1/27, as well as 3 times in the month of February, when I think I started having (totally different) launch issues with TS4 and TS3. I might have to see if I can find out what EA did during those times to see what's fouled it up, and see if there's any similarities from that time to the most recent update.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that as it may not be Legacy that's the issue.

Message 4 of 5 (539 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@columbia93 

The only way to remove LE is to completely uninstall TS4 and reinstall unchecking the LE. Unless you are strapped for space I suggest you just leave it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 5 (525 Views)