Re: TS 3 loads to black screen

by ErinMAwesome

Original Post

Accepted Solution

TS 3 loads to black screen

★ Novice

Installed TS3 through Origin two days ago. When I clicked play from the launcher, it opened up a black screen and and showed no picture. It plays a soundtrack and eventually starts a loading circle which turns into a solid arrow. I had initially installed seasons but uninstalled it; no change.

I've played with the resolutions settings in the options file and started origin in compatibility mode for windows 8. Neither changed anything

I finally saw a post to clean boot the computer and troubleshoot. This finally worked. I meant to do the troubleshooting later but never got to it. After playing the game twice, the problem returned. It's probably worthy of note that there was a windows 10 update just before it stopped again. I checked to make sure it was still in clean boot settings.

I've attached the dxdiag output. Any help please.

Message 1 of 3 (678 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@ErinMAwesome  There are a number of errors in your dxdiag, but some of them at least point to a potential issue with your graphics card driver.  There's a slightly newer version, and although it's only from 2013, it's worth trying.

The best approach would be to clean uninstall the old driver and then let Windows install the new one.  Here's how:

Spoiler
Thanks again @Holger1405 for the screenshots, and for being wonderful in general.

First, download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1750

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like:

DDU save.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 5.55.56 PM.png

Choose GPU in the dropdown menu (step one), then Intel (step 2) if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (step 3).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, go online again.  Intel doesn't offer a Windows 10-compatible driver for your graphics chip, but Windows itself should find one for you.  Test the game a couple of times, and let me know how it works.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (651 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@ErinMAwesome  There are a number of errors in your dxdiag, but some of them at least point to a potential issue with your graphics card driver.  There's a slightly newer version, and although it's only from 2013, it's worth trying.

The best approach would be to clean uninstall the old driver and then let Windows install the new one.  Here's how:

Spoiler
Thanks again @Holger1405 for the screenshots, and for being wonderful in general.

First, download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1750

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like:

DDU save.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 5.55.56 PM.png

Choose GPU in the dropdown menu (step one), then Intel (step 2) if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (step 3).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, go online again.  Intel doesn't offer a Windows 10-compatible driver for your graphics chip, but Windows itself should find one for you.  Test the game a couple of times, and let me know how it works.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (652 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks so much for your help. Uninstalling the driver worked perfectly.
Message 3 of 3 (618 Views)