Surface Pro ; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4650U; 8GB RAM; 64-bi - running

Windows 10 Pro; Version 1607; OS Build 14393.693

and game will not launch.

Help...

Message 1 of 12 (409 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sufrace Pro3 Windows 10 - SIMS 3 will not launch

Hero (Retired)

@ada99nac99 .NET Framework is used for many older programs so I would recommend to just leave it as is. While researching information about the Surface nowhere is gaming talked about. I'm sure it makes a great student/business/media class portable computer but gaming computers is a whole different class of machine. I recommend getting a proper SD card (I think there should be a microSD slot) and store all your music and other media on the SD card. I have purchased a few Dell laptops for business use because they are known for their reliability but Dell laptops tend to be conservative in performance. The distinction between gaming laptop and a gaming desktop is widening. A laptop is the opposite of what graphical gaming is all about and that is power and a lot of it whereas laptops have a limited power source (battery) and have to conserve power. Laptops typically have a limited life span because you can't upgrade them and because of this I don't recommend a laptop for gaming unless you what to spend the money. Today there is no one computer for all purpose. You need to know what your going to use the computer for then look for a computer that will accomplish your needs. Sorry for the out come but I hope I helped you in the end.

View in thread

Message 12 of 12 (412 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

when i try to start the game via launcher i get error message as follows

The Sims 3

Unable to start game

Service initialization failed (0x065d0274)

can anyone help??

Have uninstalled and reinstalled both Origin and base game and all expansion packs...

Message 2 of 12 (405 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ada99nac99 Please post your computer's dxdiag - link to how - how to post dxdiag   thank you

Message 3 of 12 (386 Views)

★★★ Novice

teh 64 bit button did not appear - which is strange 'cause i think it is meant to be 64 bit... - so maybe i am running 32 bit??

Message 4 of 12 (378 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591 - thx for reaching out btw Wink

Message 5 of 12 (377 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@ada99nac99 A 256Gb ssd is NOT large enough to run the windows operating system especially if your going to be using programs that consistently deal with large files like the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 do. 39.1Gb free space is not enough. When the operating system senses free space becoming critical , chunks of memory are going to be reserved and the more critical it gets the worse the reserving gets. This is just what the Windows operating system does - it goes into self preservation. While it is possible to run Windows in 256Gb of storage space, this can only be done with a data drive (which I don't see) and using advanced techniques which I don't advise the casual Windows user to use. IMO you need to increase the amount of free space on the system drive.

add: your dxdiag shows 112Mb of dedicated video memory and the game wants a minimum 128Mb. Also there seems to be issues with the ssd storage device and these issues seem to get worse as the free space declines. Last I heard Microsoft is working on it.

Message 6 of 12 (365 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591

Wow - thank you for that detailed reply.

I think I can free up 17.3 GB memory by removing videos stored on the C Drive and 87.1 GB if i dump the music = videos in my  I tunes library.

would that make a difference?

Message 7 of 12 (346 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591

hihi - well i got rid of all those files and same problem, as i am sure you would have told me... blerg

attached is updated DxD report, but skimming it, the numbers you mentioned have of course not changed, so machine is simply not big enough i suspect, and being a Surface, can't be upgraded i think...

If i remember right, i think i played SIM3 on this machine but that was b4 the upgrade to Windows10... would that be right?

Let me know if that is not right, if there is anything i can do to rectify the situation.

Really appreciate your efforts and insight.

Cheers Brent

Message 8 of 12 (342 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@ada99nac99 Check this:

- right click the windows symbol in the lower left of the desktop

- click control panel

- click programs and features

- click turn Windows Features on or off

- if .NET Framework 3.5 is NOT enabled click this box

- click OK

- restart computer

There may be a microSD in the surface to add another drive and more storage.

BTW the free space looks better.

add: the mSATA ssd (the storage device) is replaceable for upgrade BUT the screen needs to be removed and that requires special handling.

Message 9 of 12 (325 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591

Hihi - first of all thx for all the help and advice.you have been very generous with your time. Can i give you a hero rating or some acknowledgement? not sure how that works on here...

i called my computer support ppl and they said they could not help in terms of upgrades; for them the S3 is a closed box they don't want to touch. Basically their position was the machine was bought for work/ windows apps and could not support gaming. So overall memory limitations, the fact that any micro SD would be treated as an external drive and so probably would not create better gaming experience, and the graphics dedicated memory limitations means that i have reluctantly settled on not using it for Sims3 at all.

So have deleted Origin and Sims3 games - at least not i have cleaned up over-saved videos and have more memory available (and videos on an external stick... so that is better too.

So lets call this one closed. Problem unsolvable.

Do i need to switch back my .NET settings? originally it was partially enabled... there were 2 sub-components of the .NET settings - i could not see which of the 2 were enabled, both were not checked, and i checked both... so now it is fully enabled - i am not sure what .NET does and if i should try to switch it back to original settings...

Message 10 of 12 (314 Views)