Re: Stuck/Frozen on opening Sims 4 load screen

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Stuck/Frozen on opening Sims 4 load screen

★★★ Novice

When opening the game, I never get further than the Sims 4 title screen. It freezes the whole computer and I have to force shutdown my whole machine.

I've tried removing all Mods, repaired the game itself and recreated a new Sims 4 folder in Documents so it could recreate it fresh. I'm at a total loss here. Was working just fine after the update so I really dont think it's that and this was happening before Nifty Knitting was installed. 

Message 1 of 6 (30,691 Views)

@aimzers84  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

By the way, you may not need to force shutdown when the game freezes.  Instead, hit crtl-alt-delete, bring up the Task Manager, select Sims 4, and End Task.  Or, if you can't see the TM, crtl-alt-delete and Sign Out, which should bring you to the initial Windows login screen.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (30,633 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you for the reply. I'm going to have to do the dxdiag. I saw you recommend the first option elsewhere and tried that already.

I actually have to force shutdown because I cant even get into task manager, cant get to sign out, cant do anything. It stuffs up my whole computer once it freezes. 

Message 3 of 6 (30,600 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

My suspicions are that since my specs are not met, that my luck has finally run out and the game just cant run anymore. Maybe you can confirm this? I still find it weird that it has been running fine for over a year now (with graphic quality turned down for good measure) and just randomly, a full 24 hours after I had already been playing after an update it decided to just poop out on me. 

You seem like a very educated person on this... Do you have any recommendations for Dell laptops that would be able to run Sims 4 with all packs that wont totally break the bank? 

Message 4 of 6 (30,574 Views)

★★★ Newbie

ooh my goodness thanks so much for this advice. it worked for me. i just bought so many expansions and once i put them all on i couldnt get sims to open. i actually cried yesterday cause i just couldnt fix it.......super happy now thankyou thankyou thankyou 

Message 5 of 6 (30,534 Views)

@aimzers84  Most of the crashes in your dxdiag are actually related to a component of the Dell Digital Delivery Service.  It's impossible to say from the information listed whether this has anything to do with Sims 4 freezing: the entries aren't timestamped, and the dxdiag only lists the last ten errors.  But you could try opening the Task Manager and killing any processes related to that particular service (or even anything with Dell in the name) before you play again.  Also, if you see the word Nahimic, kill that process too.

Your laptop is definitely weak for Sims 4, but it should be able to run the game on lower settings.  The fact that it suddenly can't makes it more likely that some other issue has surfaced, not that the game is suddenly too demanding.  It's of course possible that your laptop broke in some way, but that's not as common.

If you get another freeze, please take your computer completely offline before launching the game again.  You can put Origin in offline mode and then disable wifi and/or unplug the ethernet cable.

If that doesn't help either, look for related entries in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day; today is all the way on the right.  For each entry going forward (starting now), please click View technical details, and check the timestamp (the times in the initial chart can be off by an hour or more).  For any that correspond to a freeze, please copy the information in the technical details into a text document and attach it to a post.  Some of the entries might mention Sims 4 or Origin, but even if they don't, I'd like to see what crashed at the same time as the freeze.

Or, if you're ready for a new computer, I can make some recommendations.  I'd need to know your budget though, and in what currency.  Dell computers aren't so much more expensive than others,at least not all the time, so you may be able to get a good laptop for Sims 4 for your money.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 6 (30,492 Views)