Re: Store items deleting/installing

by brionard

Original Post

@brionard  It's best to move the files out of Downloads (in your first screenshot) once you've installed the content.  You can put them in a backup folder on your desktop if you want, so you don't need to redownload them later, but the point is to keep Downloads fairly empty.

When the content disappeared, did the .ebc files in DCCache disappear too?  I'd still like to know whether they're getting corrupted and the game can't read them, or whether the files disappear entirely.

You didn't mention whether you had OneDrive running, so please let me know, and also let me know what antivirus you have and whether you use a cleaner app that runs automatically.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 22 (477 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict No, the ebc files are here. One drive is running,  but not syncing anything. I am signed in.  The virus that I use is Malwarebytes premium. I do not believe that I have a cleaner app that runs automatically.

Edit: Malwarebytes runs automatically.  I have scheduled scans(if that's what you mean).

Message 12 of 22 (475 Views)

@brionard  Scheduled scans are fine, and Malwarebytes is pretty reliable, so unless you notice that a scan runs and then your store content stops working immediately afterwards, that's not the problem.

However, something is corrupting the .ebc files or otherwise preventing them from being read properly, and I'm not sure what.  The usual suspects are installing too much content at once, or installing too much into one file—the game is supposed to create a new .ebc file when the existing one reaches about 200 MB in size.

If yours are in fact larger than that, what you can try is installing into one file until it gets near 200 MB, removing that file from DCCache, and letting the game create a new one as you install more content.  The older files can be put back, although you'll need to renumber them: the first file will always be dcdb0.ebc, and they need to be numbered sequentially from there.

If that's not the problem, try installing into a new Windows admin user account.  You can still sign into your existing Origin and store account, but don't sync with OneDrive or import any data.  If you do put together a Sims 3 folder with usable store content, you can copy it to your existing user account and try it there; even if it doesn't work, you'll still have the original in your old account.

Message 13 of 22 (471 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I use steam, could that be a problem? I'm going to try that later and let you know.  Thank you for helping me.

Message 14 of 22 (468 Views)

@brionard  I use Steam too, and I've never seen this issue.  The only thing I can think of that's different and relevant about Steam is that some people don't register their Steam base game key in Origin, usually because they have a second Origin or disc key already on their accounts.  In that case, the base game key of the installed game doesn't match what's on file in the store... but that usually prevents store stuff from installing in the first place.

Anyway, let me know how it goes.

Message 15 of 22 (465 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I just purchased island paradise,  and didn't register it on origin. I used to play on my gaming laptop, but I was told to switch to a pc for better game play. I'm literally upset because I went to game play without issues to not being able to play at all. I did not have this problem at 

Message 16 of 22 (462 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I did that and it didn't work. How many files of the launcher supposed to be there? Example I had SIms 3 launcher W and probably 2 other files. 

Sidenote: I deleted the 2 files of the launcher...not sure if I was supoosed to, would that mess up something in game?

I noticed that when I delete these bin files, my downloads come back. It's really weird.

Message 17 of 22 (397 Views)

@brionard  My Steam install has these .exe files:

S3Launcher.exe

Sims3Launcher.exe

Sims3LauncherW.exe

TS3.exe

TS3W.exe

Steam installs use the two with the W; I believe the others are extraneous.

I launch the game directly from TS3W.exe, without opening the launcher or Steam for that matter.  Does it make a difference if you do that?

Message 18 of 22 (382 Views)

★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict omg I deleted those 2, but it still opens.. do you think it'll be okay?  (The game )

Message 19 of 22 (377 Views)

★ Apprentice

And to get my content downloads back, I have to delete igs.bin and platform.bin before starting the game.

Message 20 of 22 (374 Views)