Steam Sims 3 Error when launching

by valcora101

Original Post

Steam Sims 3 Error when launching

★★★ Newbie

I got sims 3 through steam and also some expansion packs, steam downloaded the game and DLC's at the same time so when i launched the game it had all the packs in it but when i tried to get rid of that save and create a new game when i uninstalled some of the DLC's the launcher would have an error pop up saying that "there was an error launching sims 3, please check the log". Then it would crash and exit out of the launcher. I tried to uninstall and reinstall, ive tried to get rid of corrupt files and clean the registry with CCleaner, and nothing seemed to work. I got rid of all the DLC's and tried to just run the base game but that still didnt work. Then i reinstalled all the DLC's from when i first downloaded the game and the game actually opens and doesnt show an error. Im wondering if anybody can help figure out how and why installing the DLC's broke the game for me and if theres a way i can fix it so i can remove and install other dlcs without breaking it further? i also have origin installed to play sims 4 if that contributes to the issues.

Message 1 of 2 (830 Views)

Re: Steam Sims 3 Error when launching

@valcora101  The presence of Origin and Sims 4 has nothing to do with it.  The fact that the game runs with all packs installed means you missed some entries in the registry.  If there are leftover entries from uninstalled packs, the symptoms are exactly what you described.

Since CCleaner didn't do the job, you'll likely need to clean the registry manually.  This guide lists the registry keys that need to be removed in an Origin uninstall (under "how to manually uninstall Sims 3).  The only registry keys I'm seeing in my Steam install are the ones in the first category, under WOW6432Node\Sims.  The difference is, my category is listed as Sims(Steam).  But the principle is the same: delete the keys related to the packs you want to uninstall.

Be sure to export your registry beforehand, as deleting the wrong key can make your computer stop working properly.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (819 Views)