Sims3packs from store wont install. Sims loads to install then just closes.

by southsunflower

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims3packs from store wont install. Sims loads to install then just closes.

★★ Novice

So I'm trying to install some sims 3 content I downloaded (successfully) from the store. And when I click install, the Sims 3 loads for a few seconds, starts the loading of the files then closes. 

I have:

- Deleted the DCBackup and DCCache contents, as well as store worlds, and tried again. Still fails.

- Redownloaded the content. Still fails.

- Deleted browser caches.

I don't know what else to do. Until just a few hours ago, I had no problems.

Message 1 of 4 (398 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims3packs from store wont install. Sims loads to install then just closes.

@southsunflower  Please try installing the content into a clean user folder.  (Restart your computer too, for good measure.)  Move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, download a fresh copy of one store item, and try to install it.

If that works, you can download and install your other content as well, but I'd suggest installing in small batches, no more than six or so items at a time, to avoid unnecessarily overloading the launcher.  Worlds are large items and should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.

Once you've reinstalled your store content, which you'll need to do anyway since you deleted the contents of DCCache, you can move your saves and anything else you want to keep to the new Sims 3 folder.  Here's a complete list of the folder's contents:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

When in doubt, it's better to let the game generate a new copy of a file or folder rather than transferring the old one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (369 Views)

All Replies

@southsunflower  Please try installing the content into a clean user folder.  (Restart your computer too, for good measure.)  Move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, download a fresh copy of one store item, and try to install it.

If that works, you can download and install your other content as well, but I'd suggest installing in small batches, no more than six or so items at a time, to avoid unnecessarily overloading the launcher.  Worlds are large items and should be handled separately, not in a batch with anything else.

Once you've reinstalled your store content, which you'll need to do anyway since you deleted the contents of DCCache, you can move your saves and anything else you want to keep to the new Sims 3 folder.  Here's a complete list of the folder's contents:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

When in doubt, it's better to let the game generate a new copy of a file or folder rather than transferring the old one.

Message 2 of 4 (370 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I actually partially did that, but to be fair I live somewhere where downloading every single thing again would be... difficult. (Terrible bandwith, unstable connection...)

So I removed the Sims 3 folder. But I replaced it with a carbon copy I made during a system backup which had 75% of the downloads already done. I started adding what was missing, and it worked! Sims3Pack are installing again as they should!

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4 (354 Views)

@southsunflower  That's great to hear, and good that you had a backup.  You can also save a copy of just the downloaded Sims3Packs (the ones in ...\The Sims 3\Downloads) if you ever need to install from scratch, or you want to create a new user folder with limited store content.  As long as you're using the downloads on the same computer, you shouldn't run into any issues.  They sometimes even transfer from one computer to another, but that's not as reliable.

Message 4 of 4 (339 Views)