Re: Sims3 Mod only opens in Notepad, help?

by igazor

Original Post

Sims3 Mod only opens in Notepad, help?

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded the Master Controller and Portrait Panel, both .package mods, and stupidly tried to open then in notepad on my computer. Now, my games act as if the mods arent there and I do not know how to get my mods working again. I've looked everywhere and haven't seen answers- any ideas?

Message 1 of 3 (552 Views)

[ Edited ]

@HappyElk2  I've moved your post to the Sims 3 section.

I'm not sure whether the mods were saved in Notepad or not; that would make them unusable.  But it's easy enough to delete them and download fresh copies.  Once you've unzipped them and placed them in Mods\Packages, be sure to delete the five cache files in your game folder as well.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If you launch the game and still don't see the mods listed at the Main Menu, quit and then check the last modified date on deviceconfig, again in your game folder in Documents.  Let me know whether the time stamp is current, i.e. it corresponds to the most recent time you launched the game.

Also, it doesn't matter that Windows has associated the mods with Notepad.  As long as you don't open them again, TS3 will be able to read them just fine.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (534 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

If you find the Notepad association icon extremely distracting, you could also install a package editing program like S3PE or NRaas Packer and open/associate a freshly downloaded and unzipped mod file in that program one time. Agreed though that the file association and icon make no difference to the game if the file has not really been altered, the icon that shows is merely cosmetic and the association is to service double-clicks that no one who is not altering/creating their own package files needs to do.

Message 3 of 3 (526 Views)