Sims look weird

by vikez0r

Original Post

Re: Sims look weird

★★★★★ Apprentice

Both you and the user on the other link has a ATI card on a laptop, running with ATI's "Dynamic Switchable Graphics" software, so my guess is that that might be the problem, as that software is not as mature as the Optimus software that nvidia uses.

ATI are also known to produce buggy drivers, and it might be worth a try to downgrade to a earlier version of the current driver, say 12.2, or 12.1. It might give a slight loss of performance, but it might remove the face problem. 

Another possible thing would be to check out if you simply disable the switch from one card to another, and see if the problem persists. If it does not, that means that the ATI drivers are to blame.

Message 11 of 24 (581 Views)

★★ Novice

>Did you try resetting the graphic card to factory default described in my last post ?

Yes.

>I do think it driver related so you might wanna try switching back to an older graphic card driver.

I have installed this driver. Installing an updated driver from AMD's website makes the computer always use the power-saving GPU (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250). No older versions are available.

>Delete the cache files

Didn't do anyhting.

Unless 60°C is too hot, my computer isn't overheating. Changing the graphics settings didn't help.

Message 12 of 24 (588 Views)

Hero

Do you have the same issue with the power saver GPU (just curious, I'm sure it's not fun playing with that GPU)

If you look around the net (google: Melted Faces) it's a wide spread problem with AMD switchable cards, I could not really find a solution though.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 24 (586 Views)

★ Novice

I told you the same situation, the result I put the performance into a power saving mode, the sims normal

Message 14 of 24 (562 Views)

★ Novice

The result I put the performance into a power saving mode, sims normal

Message 15 of 24 (566 Views)

Hero

Then I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the AMD drivers.

Maybe trying to contact them to see if they have a solution ? Try out a beta driver if there's one ?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 16 of 24 (559 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I exactly know what the problem is! I had the same problem, the thing is that with the last catalyst update, videocards like yours and the 2xxx 3xxx series are getting this in all games (only windows 7 and vista for some reason). In order to fix it, you must download this version of it (remove the videocard drivers 1st). Link : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4330698 I hope this helps you mate.

It solved the problem for me, and hundred more ppl, so why not for you?

Message 17 of 24 (557 Views)

Hero

Should the OP check back, I wanted to ask if I could use their picture for a blog post I'm planning on making.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 18 of 24 (539 Views)

★★ Novice

@w1nterpwnd wrote:

I exactly know what the problem is! I had the same problem, the thing is that with the last catalyst update, videocards like yours and the 2xxx 3xxx series are getting this in all games (only windows 7 and vista for some reason). In order to fix it, you must download this version of it (remove the videocard drivers 1st). Link : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4330698 I hope this helps you mate.

It solved the problem for me, and hundred more ppl, so why not for you?

The AMD Radeon HD 6470M is not on the supported cards list. I also tried installing the hotfix before, but that resulted in Catalyst Control Center not recongizing any cards. I could still play 3D games though, but it didnt fix the The Sims 3 problem.

Message 19 of 24 (533 Views)

★★ Novice

@crinrict wrote:

Should the OP check back, I wanted to ask if I could use their picture for a blog post I'm planning on making.

Yes, you can use them.

Message 20 of 24 (532 Views)