Sims faces go blurry from a distance

by simsical-musical

Original Post

Sims faces go blurry from a distance

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Obviously sims faces should be a bit more blurry from far away than up close... but even when I back up so their faces and torsos are visible, their features go all cloudy, and that's never happened to me before. It also happens indoors. I did get a new computer, but on the new one I have the computer specs to run the game with higher settings than before, so i feel like it should look better, not worse. By the way, I have all the settings to high but post processing off. 

Here's an example picture of what it looked like before:

And here's what it does now:

There's a high chance it's because I now have laptop mode off, but what settings would I have to change to fix it?

Message 1 of 8 (1,118 Views)

Re: Sims faces go blurry from a distance

@simsical-musical  I'm sorry, I can't really tell what's wrong with the second screenshot.  It could be that the sim is too small, or it could be that the screenshots come out normal.  Please try taking a screenshot with the built-in snipping tool.  Put the game in windowed fullscreen or windowed mode (let me know if it looks better this way), hit Windows key-shift-S, and drag your cursor over the section of screen you want to capture.  You can click on the notification in the lower right corner to see the screenshot, or if that doesn't work, open Paint and crtl-V to paste it.

Please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You don't need laptop mode, in fact it would be counterproductive here.  It's only for low-end machines and will make the game look worse on almost any system.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (1,098 Views)

★ Apprentice

Sorry that it has taken so long for me to get back to this, it's been a busy month! 

Here's a better picture of what happens: 

The faces and especially eyes get this blurry even when I move the tiniest bit away from their faces...

I'll try the windowed mode and dxdiag when I get the chance!

Message 3 of 8 (1,043 Views)

@simsical-musical  Take your time; there's always someone here to help whenever you get a chance to troubleshoot.

While you're testing, see whether the post-processing setting makes any difference too.  And if you can't resolve the blurriness, please do attach a dxdiag.

Message 4 of 8 (1,030 Views)

★ Apprentice

Here's the dxdiag!

Message 5 of 8 (991 Views)

@simsical-musical  Please go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4, and delete options.ini.  Then launch the game to see whether the sims are still blurry.  You'll need to redo all your settings, but please don't change anything until you've tested.  If the sims still look blurry, switch between fullscreen and windowed modes, then zoom out and back in a couple times to see whether it helps.

If that doesn't make a difference, try changing the DPI back to 96 (100%), at least long enough to test the game.  You can use option one here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-change-dpi-scaling-level-displays-windows-10-a.html

And delete options.ini again.  Let me know whether it helps.  If it does, but you'd like to go back to the higher DPI for normal computer use, there's a way to customize the setting just for Sims 4.  But it's better to test system-wide first.

Message 6 of 8 (965 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Hi again! I'm still working on trying the fixes you've suggested, but I recently noticed that the clouds in my sims' sky are gone and even when the post-processing effects are on, I don't get a distance blur, so I'm wondering if there's still some sort of reshade thing affecting my game (I tried it for a while then deleted it) and that could be contributing to my issues? If this is possible, how would I make sure reshade is fully removed and there isn't anything external affecting the quality of the game?
Message 7 of 8 (878 Views)

@simsical-musical  Reshade could absolutely be affecting how Sims 4 looks.  As far as removing it, just follow the installation instructions, except backwards.  When you're done, it wouldn't hurt to clear Origin's cache and then repair the game.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If that doesn't make a difference, please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet, and don't change the settings until you've looked around in-game to see whether the problem persists.  If it does, try fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, and windowed modes, and if they don't change anything, you can play with the other settings.

If none of this helps, please run a new dxdiag and attach it to a post.

Message 8 of 8 (860 Views)