Re: Sims can't use the computer

by crinrict

Original Post

Sims can't use the computer

★ Novice

Hey! 

None of my sims (on any of my residential lots) can use the computer. Any computer interaction I click on results in the sim waving and the interaction being cancelled. I thought it may be a mod issue but I've updated all my mods (that I know of) and trialed removing some of them to see if the problem would stop and it didn't.

Here are some of my Mac specs if that helps:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2

Processor: 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

I have a 1TB SSD 

Message 1 of 7 (701 Views)

Hero
@mbro5244

Does it work if you have the Sim sit down first and then use the computer ? Any clutter on your desk ? Is the desk on a platform ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (675 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi I'm also having an issue with my sims being unable to use the PC.

Unlike OP though, I have only 3 options when selecting both PCs and laptops in game. 

I get:
'Computer security settings', 'Order' & 'Upgrade' only. 

They just moved house so at first I assumed the game was thinking their laptops didn't belong to them for whatever reason (despite having these laptops for 3 house moves now) but even with a freshly bought PC, I'm unable to get more than the 3 options listed above. 

Even when seating the sim at the desk, the options do not change.

I have all mods updated but I also disabled them to check and nothing fixes this issue. 

This was all working fine yesterday afternoon so something has happened within the last 24 hours to affect the ingame options for PC and laptops.

Message 3 of 7 (643 Views)

★ Novice

@crinrict wrote:
@mbro5244

Does it work if you have the Sim sit down first and then use the computer ? Any clutter on your desk ? Is the desk on a platform ?

Hey! 
I tried getting them to sit down at the desk and that doesn’t work either :/ No platforms or clutter, just a computer on a desk.

Weirdly, I’ve found that it works on one of my lots with the Discover University laptop, however it still doesn’t work in my other lots (including when I use the same laptop). 

Message 4 of 7 (632 Views)

Hero
@mbro5244 Are you using any cc chairs ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 7 (606 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Manekikanji  Which desk/surface do you have the computer on? Is it "THE Front Desk", accessible when the lot is assigned as Retail? Or is it a debug desk perhaps? Could you say the name in Build/Buy mode, and or post a picture. It would be good to say the name of the computer as well.

Message 6 of 7 (567 Views)

★ Novice

I’ve noticed it only happens when I completely remove cc from the whole situation ie. maxis computer, desk and chair. I guess that’s the workaround I’ve gotta stick with for now 

Message 7 of 7 (539 Views)