Re: Sims Taking ALL My Space

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Sims Taking ALL My Space

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hi Guys, 

I play the Sims 4 and I have Seasons, City Living, Cats & Dogs and Get Famous. My computer I use has 118gb, and 29gb left. The ONLY game installed on it is the Sims. I have lots of custom content and mods but I'm not sure how many gb it adds up to - I don't think it is a lot. How much gbs does the Sims take up, and WHY! And most importantly HOW can I reduce how many gbs it takes up on my computer, I want to download other games but I can't because the Sims takes up 89 gbs! Could I potentially put my custom content on a usb and plug it in when I want to play? Give me as many ideas possible, THANK YOU!!

Message 1 of 13 (1,799 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@jasmynmoussa 

That SSD is simply too small. You need to upgrade to something bigger or if your laptop supports it install a second drive. Let a store perform the upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 13 (1,777 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hi,

What is an SSD?

Sorry I am really uneducated when it comes to computers. 

I don't think the game should take up 89gbs of my storage though, considering base game is 14gb, and each game pack is approximately 3gb. I have quite a lot of cc and mods but I really don't think it adds up to 89.

I just viewed how much my mods and cc adds up to - 4.49gb. Why is all of my storage gone?

Message 3 of 13 (1,766 Views)

★ Guide
@jasmynmoussa Could be the game's cache files, you can try cleaning them up as they grow within your play time
Message 4 of 13 (1,691 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@jasmynmoussa 

SSD = Solid State Drive. The drive where everything is stored. It could have been a normal HDD but the size is pretty much a tell for an SSD commonly used in laptops not intended for gaming.

The Sims 4 does not take up 89 GB but around 50GB with all packs. However you have other things on there such as Windows 10 and other programs you use. You looked at the total used and falsely assumed that only The Sims 4 took up space. That is not the case everything installed takes up space starting with Windows itself taking up around 16 GB. If you click on Start you can see a list of what else you have installed. So in short if you want other games you need a bigger drive at least if it is big games like The Sims 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 13 (1,670 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

hi there,

how do i clean this up?

thanks for ur help

Message 6 of 13 (1,630 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

hi,

im not really sure what a hdd is but if it is a hard disk drive my laptop actually does have that rather than an ssd

yes i probably did falsely assume that the sims 4 was taking up all my gb, however it was the only application i had installed on my laptop other than the default windows applications. i cleared up my storage, i forgot how and what i removed but i managed to get around 40 or so gb free. before i had commented my original post i had watched several youtube videos on how to clear up space and uninstalled all the applications i could so i just assumed it was the sims as it was the only thing left. 

one last question, how do hard drives work? i am thinking of purchasing one but i dont know much about them

thank you for all your help Standard smile

Message 7 of 13 (1,623 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@jasmynmoussa 

Yes, HDD = Hard disk drive. I can't be totally sure as I don't know what laptop you have but as I wrote that specific size is typical for small SSD's often seen in cheaper laptops not intended for gaming. The latter I say because games take up a lot of space. Discussing how a disk drive works is very technical and doesn't belong here. If you are really interested in the technicality look it up on Google. What you need to know is that a Disk drive is where you store everything you have installed or created on your PC. As for buying a new drive seek the advice of someone professional. An employee at a computer shop can help. Not the sales people but the helpdesk bigger stores have. If you post the exact make and model of your Laptop I can tell you more about what your options are. You can also post a DxDiag. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the txt file directly to your answer. 

Message 8 of 13 (1,593 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@jpkarlsen 

my laptop i play the sims on  is a microsoft surface pro, i think its a 2017 model but im unsure. i also have a brand new 2020 macbook pro with 256gb which i use for school (it has 194.61gb left), so if you think that would be a better option to my surface pro let me know. i have asked my friends who have had sims on their macbook and they told me it slowed it down so i was unsure if i should use it.

i also attatched the dxdiag below just incase you would like to read it all.

thank you Standard smile

Message 9 of 13 (1,562 Views)
Highlighted

Champion (Retired)

@jasmynmoussa 

You have a Surface Pro 4 not the 2017 version. It is not bad for what it is intended for light Office and School Work. It has an M.2 128 GB SSD (you see 118 GB because some of it is reserved to the system). The CPU is powerful enough but it only have 4 GB RAM and does not have standalone graphics. You mentioned wanting other games installed however if these are major titles they will either not run at all or very poorly. It is possible to upgrade the SSD but it requires a professional with special tools to do so. Given the other hardware it is not worth the cost. I recommend you keep using it for school for as long as it will work for that. You can also keep playing the Sims 4 on it as long as you do not plan to buy any new Expansions to the game.

As for your Mac I have not enough knowledge to advice you there. Please ask in the Mac forum here instead. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/bd-p/The-Sims-Mac

Message 10 of 13 (1,539 Views)