Re: Sims 4 won't stream on Discord

by MathewMii

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 won't stream on Discord

★★ Novice

I tried to stream Sims 4 through discord for a friend of mine, but the screen would be black; even if the game is on windowed mode.  The sound still plays, though.  When I try to make it stream the game again, the game would either show up for a moment and go back to black after I hover my cursor over the game or flat out crash.  I played a different game, being Soul Calibur 6, to stream it to the same person and it worked fine.

What can I do to correct the issue in Sims 4 or maybe Discord so I can stream the game without problems?

Message 1 of 12 (38,870 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Guide

Alright, looks like I found a resolution on my end; it definitely seems to be Discord-related. I tried your solutions first, and the friend I had with me noticed something in the Settings that ended up being the resolution:

When you're in Discord, do the following:

- Open Settings (Gear Symbol on bottom left, next to your profile and Mic/Headset icons.

- Go to Voice & Audio

- Scroll down to an area that says "Use our latest technology to capture your screen." Turn this setting OFF.

If you end up speaking with Discord again, and this solution worked for you, let them know on their end; seems like the latest Discord update FUBAR'd something.

- B

View in thread

Message 10 of 12 (38,601 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide

This happened to me too as of recent; not sure what's causing it.

As a workaround I found using the regular "stream your desktop" option still works for Sims 4, however using that cuts out the sound, so it ends up being a sort of "one or the other" situation.

Did this start happening recently for you? It did for me, and I can't really pinpoint any rhyme or reason as to what's causing it; my initial thought is a Discord update, as that's the most recent application on my own side that did anything.

- B

Message 2 of 12 (38,801 Views)

★★ Novice
Ahh.

It is a recent thing, though it has been a while ago since I streamed Sims 4 last time.
Message 3 of 12 (38,787 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Interesting, I streamed it as recently as 3/25 without issues; I recall there being a Discord update around 3/27 or so. I had issues running it on 3/29, identical to what you mentioned.

I'll see if I can find anything on the matter when I get time.

- B

Message 4 of 12 (38,783 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

In that case, it sounds like an issue that should be brought up to the Discord devs.

Message 5 of 12 (38,774 Views)

★★ Novice

I've been emailing Discord back and forth about this same problem for about 3-4 days now. I'll fill you in if I get a fix but so far none of their suggested solutions have worked. :/ I'm not sure if it's Sims' fault or Discord's. 

Message 6 of 12 (38,701 Views)

★★ Novice
That blows...
I'm gonna stick with a temporary fix of using Voice Meeter with the desktop streaming for now.
Message 7 of 12 (38,687 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@MinishCrap ,

If you've got a few fixes that were proposed, could you provide them here? It'd give me some material to work with so I can do some troubleshooting on my end.

- B

Message 8 of 12 (38,643 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

The following are all of the fixes that I've been given so far (none of them worked for me):

From Discord: 

• Disabling Hardware Acceleration to see if it helps:Just go to your User Settings > Appearance and disable the option for 'Hardware Acceleration'.
  • Trying the Public Test Build (PTB) version of Discord (Which you can get at the same spot on their site where you'd download normal Discord). 
  • Completely reinstalling the Discord app. End all Discord-related processes in the task manager, and then deleting all Discord-related data as guided in this article and then actually downloading and installing Discord again.
  • Trying Discord's canary version, which is like the PTB but even newer and more unstable. 

From EA (After Discord directed me to them): 

• Completely log out and close down Origin
    Hold down the Windows key and R
    Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
    Now open the Origin folder.
    Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
    hold down the Windows key and R
    Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
    This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
    Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
    Open the Local folder here
    Delete the Origin folder listed here
    Restart your PC and log back into Origin

That's all for now, I'll have to get back in touch with EA when their support chat room opens again. @burin077 

Message 9 of 12 (38,619 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Alright, looks like I found a resolution on my end; it definitely seems to be Discord-related. I tried your solutions first, and the friend I had with me noticed something in the Settings that ended up being the resolution:

When you're in Discord, do the following:

- Open Settings (Gear Symbol on bottom left, next to your profile and Mic/Headset icons.

- Go to Voice & Audio

- Scroll down to an area that says "Use our latest technology to capture your screen." Turn this setting OFF.

If you end up speaking with Discord again, and this solution worked for you, let them know on their end; seems like the latest Discord update FUBAR'd something.

- B

Message 10 of 12 (38,602 Views)