Re: Sims 4 won't open post November patch

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have formated and instaled system just yesterday. How would this repair help in any way?  

Message 11 of 21 (494 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So, what else can I do? As I was saying, I did all things listed in the topic where I originally posted

Message 12 of 21 (467 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Sorry to bother you directly but I received no reply from anyone today. So what I spouse to do now? As I was saying above, I have formatted my C disk and reinstalled windows just yesterday, so I don't know what that windows repair suppose to achieve. What are the other options you have mentioned? I have done all things listed in the original topic I posted my issue, and it did not help. I'm working early tomorrow, so I need to go to bad now, and I will not reply any time soon.    

Message 13 of 21 (459 Views)

@LorrusGrymn  I went to bed a little before you posted and had a lot of other things to do today.  So sorry I didn't get to your thread until now.

You're running an older version of Windows, regardless of how new the install is.  Sometimes when you install an older version that way, you don't get all the important updates, or there's a conflcting driver, or something else goes wrong.  In that case, it can help to do a repair install with a freshly downloaded ISO.  The intermediate step is running DISM and sfc, which, while clearly fixing something, apparently didn't allow you to play.

The BlueScreens are coming from somewhere, obviously.  The problem with that particular BSOD is that it could be due to a number of issues: bad hard drive, faulty RAM, corrupt incompatible driver, etc.  Even the crash dump didn't make it clear—the Windows component mentioned supports other features, so it's more likely that either a driver isn't working or there's an underlying hardware issue.  Then the clean boot didn't help, which eliminates some (but not all) drivers.

So, we come back to the original point: you have an old Windows install, maybe something is broken or you're running incompatible software, and it's not clear what.  The reason I keep mentioning a repair install is that it addresses potential Windows issues and potential driver incompatibilities all at once, so it's more efficient than trying to track down the individual issues.  However, if you'd like to approach this from a different angle, you can start with hardware scans.  Hopefully those will rule out issues with your hard drives or memory.

For the hard drives, run chkdsk:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste "chkdsk /f /r c:" without quotes, and enter
  • You'll be asked to allow a restart; say yes
  • When the computer has restarted, here's how to get the results:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html
  • Repeat chkdsk for your F drive: "chkdsk /f /r f:"

For the RAM, run MemTest86:

https://www.memtest86.com/index.html

https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/memtest86_memory_guide/

It's best to run the test on each module separately, twice per, with the module in a different motherboard slot each time.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 14 of 21 (446 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  Here are the logs form the first thing you have asked me to do. The F thing took a few hours to complete. I tested 2 modules of 4 of my RAM. No errors so far, but it takes 2,5h to test one, and I'm working this weekend so I will finish tomorrow. In the way I see it, this is just some diagnostics and not a solution to the problem. I updated the Windows as well, but this did not helped in any way. 

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
633344 file records processed.

File verification completed.
11565 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
3891 reparse records processed.

863404 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

3891 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 1677 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1677 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1677 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
115031 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
41058464 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
633328 files processed.

File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
72094778 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

498441796 KB total disk space.
208970932 KB in 503613 files.
332664 KB in 115032 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
759084 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
288379116 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
124610449 total allocation units on disk.
72094779 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 aa 09 00 73 70 09 00 8d 69 12 00 00 00 00 00 ....sp...i......
3e 03 00 00 f5 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 >...............

Chkdsk was executed in read/write mode.

Checking file system on F:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume label is Ny volym.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
2098176 file records processed. File verification completed.
1135 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
13595 reparse records processed. 2181626 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. 13595 reparse records processed.
Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Cleaning up 456 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 456 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 456 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
41726 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
39591864 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
2098160 files processed. File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
26622465 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

1953409023 KB total disk space.
1844195960 KB in 1046228 files.
460116 KB in 41727 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
2263087 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
106489860 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
488352255 total allocation units on disk.
26622465 allocation units available on disk.

Message 15 of 21 (421 Views)

@LorrusGrymn  Alright, let me know how the rest goes.

Message 16 of 21 (410 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict So I checked all RAm modules, and there is no error. The game still won't launch. What suppose I do now? 

Message 17 of 21 (397 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I'm remaining of myself. I have checked what you were asking. I posted logs, and there were no errors wit the RAM, Windows 10 is updated to the newest version. The game still won't launch. What next should I do? 

Message 18 of 21 (373 Views)

@LorrusGrymn  I'm sorry for the late reply; I wanted to get a second opinion.

Please remove the Sims 4 folder from Documents\Electronic Arts, if you have one there.  Repair the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  You can try to launch it here; maybe it'll work with these steps plus all the others you've done so far.

If not, try doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the graphics driver.  This is more thorough than a regular uninstall/reinstall.  Download Display Driver Uninstaller from here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3300

Get a fresh copy of the newest Nvidia driver from here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/166630/en-us

Next, take your computer completely offline—disable wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord—and double-click the DDU.exe.  Take note of where the file will land, and click Extract.  If it's easier, you can copy the path and then paste it into the address bar in a File Explorer window.  Open the folder and then launch Display Driver Uninstaller.exe, and you'll get a message that you're not in Safe Mode.  Click OK, then go to Options and enable Safe Mode dialog.  Here's a screenshot of what your options should look like; make sure the box in red is checked:

DDU 1.1.png

Close options, and the DDU, and then open the DDU.exe again.  For launch options, choose "Safe Mode (Recommended)," and then click Reboot to Safe Mode (you'll need your password, so find it before rebooting).  Once you login, you'll see this:

DDU 2.png

In the blue box, choose GPU, then Nvidia if it's not already showing.  Then click Clean and Restart (red box).

Once your computer has rebooted, now back in normal mode, run the driver install .exe in custom mode.  Select "perform a clean installation" and install ONLY the GPU driver and the PHYSX software.

Reboot again, go back online, and see whether the game works.  If it doesn't, please attach a file called Client_Log.txt to a post.  To get it, hit Windows key-R and enter %ProgramData%/Origin/Logs , which will open the folder with the file inside.

Message 19 of 21 (325 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictOk. Looks like some Mod problem. I had some before, during the time of the previous updates, but not in the way that game would not lunch. I should check that before. I will figure out things myself from here. Thank you for your assistance, and sorry for bothering you unnecessarily.

Message 20 of 21 (299 Views)