Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Sims 4 doesn't start - No Error Message (Patch 1.68.154)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 4 won't open post November patch

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem form a few days. The game just refused to turn one without any massage or something. I followed the instructions form the first post, but that did not help. I have reinstalled Windows as well because I was time to do that. That did nothing to the situation. My antivirus is Norton, and I have tried to turn it off. I'm attaching DxDiag. 

edited title after thread was split.  -puzzlezaddict

Message 1 of 21 (630 Views)

@LorrusGrymn  Among other things, your dxdiag lists a couple of BlueScreens related to referencing invalid memory.  This can be caused by all sorts of issues, so it's a good idea to get more information.  (And I don't know whether these BSODs have anything to do with Sims 4 not working, but they should be addressed regardless.)

Please open a File Explorer window and enter C:\Windows\Minidump in the address bar.  For any files you find, right-click on them and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and select Paste.  Then go back a level to C:\Windows and look for a MEMORY.dmp file; if you find one, do the same.  Please zip the files together, upload them to a third-party filehosting site, and link them here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 21 (621 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GPO2MRz6QukdqB7THgh9vAwyW-fIz-BU/view?usp=sharing

Here are those files. I remember I had a blue screen, but this was not related in any way with the game, I think. 

Message 3 of 21 (661 Views)
Highlighted

@LorrusGrymn  I just tried to download your files, and Google Drive prompted me to sign in, meaning I can't access them.  That means they're either private or shared but restricted to the people you specify.  Please try sharing again, except make sure to click the option that anyone with the link can access the download.

Message 4 of 21 (645 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Message 5 of 21 (643 Views)

@LorrusGrymn  The minidump and memory dump both reference a component of Windows.  They also both mention Firefox, so the BSODs may not be related to Sims 4 after all.  But the same underlying issue could be causing both issues.

Please start by running a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files.  While this would normally not be necessary following a clean install, the fact that a Windows process is faulting makes it the best place to start.

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Please also let me know if there's a reason you don't want to update to the newest, or now second-newest, version of Windows.  Your build is still supported, so running it isn't a problem in itself, but let me know whether updating is to 19041 is a viable option.

Restart your computer before testing.  And be sure to completely disable your antivirus, don't just set exceptions, if you haven't already.

If Sims 4 doesn't work, please try playing in a clean boot:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-boot-windows-10

When you reboot but before trying to open Sims 4, go through the Task Manager's background processes and shut down anything that isn't absolutely critical.  Many processes, anything from RGB software to MSI Afterburner, don't get disabled during a clean boot, so you'll have to close them manually.  It's important to have nothing else running aside from the essentials.

Message 6 of 21 (633 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Ok.. So I did as you have asked. here is the text:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aPlg3nz9o_z9fWbgC_cgQ4HVbi81623x/view?usp=sharing

Here is that file if it is of any use.

As for the clean boot. It just turned out that I Can't type in Windows Search Bar. I have tried some solution that I have googled, but it did not helped. 

It is very late here, so I'm going to bed now.  

Message 7 of 21 (608 Views)

@LorrusGrymn  Since your issue seems somewhat different than the others, I've split your posts into their own thread.

You can get to the same place by clicking Windows key-R and entering "msconfig.exe" without quotes in the run box.  However, given this and your other issues, it might be time to consider a repair install of Windows 10, which you can do with an ISO of either your current build or a newer one.  I know you just reinstalled, but that just underlines that this kind of issue shouldn't happen.  Let me know if you'd like help with a repair install.

If you don't want to go that route and manage to get the clean boot to work, let me know how it goes.

Message 8 of 21 (573 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So. Start works again, and I tried that clean boot. I tried it again because I have done this once before asking here. This did not helped this time, as it did not helped before. 

Message 9 of 21 (558 Views)

Re: Sims 4 won't open post November patch

@LorrusGrymn  The reason I suggested another clean boot is because something could have been repaired by DISM and sfc, in which case it would be worth trying a second time.  Too bad it didn't work.

I mentioned it above, but are you interested in a repair install of Windows, or would you rather try other steps first?  Let me know either way.

Message 10 of 21 (547 Views)