Re: Sims 4 won't open due to error

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 won't open due to error

★ Novice

I have already purchased and installed Sims 4 but when I try and open it an error pops up that says,

The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

I have already reinstalled it multiple times and have tried many things that others say to make it work but it never is successful. If someone can help me out to fix this error that would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4 (198 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Laur_Baur99  Among the ways to figure out if you're running an antivirus is to open the Task Manager and look for background processes that have the name of an antivirus.  You can also check the Startup tab in the Task Manager; any antivirus should be listed there.

This issue however is usually due to the required VC++ runtimes not installing properly, or an application not being able to use them.  In this case, the runtimes are the 2015-2019 versions.  It's best to uninstall your current copies, if you have any, and reinstall clean copies from Microsoft.

Hit Windows key-i and select Apps, then scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables.  Click on any copies from 2015/2017/2019 and select Uninstall; don't touch the versions from other years.  Then download the 2015-2019 versions (one each, x64 and x86; you need both if you have a 64-bit OS) from Microsoft and install them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Restart before trying to play.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (162 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager
@Laur_Baur99 DO you have any Anti-virus or additional security running on your device?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 4 (176 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Illium How do I find out if I have additional security or an anti-virus running because I'm not sure if I do?

Message 3 of 4 (168 Views)

@Laur_Baur99  Among the ways to figure out if you're running an antivirus is to open the Task Manager and look for background processes that have the name of an antivirus.  You can also check the Startup tab in the Task Manager; any antivirus should be listed there.

This issue however is usually due to the required VC++ runtimes not installing properly, or an application not being able to use them.  In this case, the runtimes are the 2015-2019 versions.  It's best to uninstall your current copies, if you have any, and reinstall clean copies from Microsoft.

Hit Windows key-i and select Apps, then scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables.  Click on any copies from 2015/2017/2019 and select Uninstall; don't touch the versions from other years.  Then download the 2015-2019 versions (one each, x64 and x86; you need both if you have a 64-bit OS) from Microsoft and install them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Restart before trying to play.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (163 Views)