Re: Sims 4 won't load - crash

by veisht

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 won't load - crash

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I've recently got the base game for free from Origin. The first few times I ran it, it opened without any problems.

After a while, it started crashing, right after "Sims 4" shows and before the main menu. It forced me to manually shut down my PC. I tried again and it worked, but now I've tried about seven times in a row and it just won't work.

I've tried resetting to factory, reinstalling origin, repairing the game, removing mods I had, ...

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (339 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@veisht

The reason is probably the outdated mods and CC you downloaded.
Another reason may be computer problems. Weak graphics card or outdated drivers, too little free space on drive C, unsuccessful Windows updates but I rather think that these mods caused the problem.

Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder. Start a new game with random sim and play for 10 minutes.
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder. Now you will have only one game folder working properly.

If it isn't working

Try to launch the game in windowed mode
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/

If it will not work could you post your Computer's DxDiag?
To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the text file to your post directly in option "Reply" - not Quick Reply

I don't work for EA

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (318 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@veisht

The reason is probably the outdated mods and CC you downloaded.
Another reason may be computer problems. Weak graphics card or outdated drivers, too little free space on drive C, unsuccessful Windows updates but I rather think that these mods caused the problem.

Step 1. Rename The Sims4 folder to "The Sims4 old"
Step 2. Fix the game in Origin
Origin/Library - right click on TS4 - option "Repair game"
Step 3. Turn on the game - a new game folder will be created and you will have two - one old, one new
Step 4. Check if you still have this problem in the newly created game folder. Start a new game with random sim and play for 10 minutes.
If the problem disappeared
Step 5. Delete in the new game folder following folders:
"saves" and Tray.
Step 6. Go to "The Sims 4 old" folder and copy - your "saves " folder.
Step. 7, Paste this folder in a newly created game folder.
Step 8. Do the same with Tray folder and TrayDeleteItems file
Step 9. Check if there are newly updated version mods you are using.
Then copy and paste your mods and CC from old mods folder to the new one. First copy the scripts mods every time checking if the game is working properly. If you have a lot of CC try 50/50 method ( divide your CC into smaller batches for example 50 pieces in one subfolder and check these subfolders one by one)
Step. 10. If all is OK - delete The Sims4 old folder. Now you will have only one game folder working properly.

If it isn't working

Try to launch the game in windowed mode
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/playing-the-sims-4-in-windowed-mode/

If it will not work could you post your Computer's DxDiag?
To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the text file to your post directly in option "Reply" - not Quick Reply

I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 3 (319 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Windowed mode solved the problem! Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 3 (277 Views)