Sims 4 won't launch

by vdrqbl4j35xh

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 won't launch

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

The Sims 4 is not launching, it opens for like 2 seconds, black screen and then I am sent back to my desktop.

I have tried the basic things I could find online (clear origin caches, uninstall and reinstall origin, updating origin, uninstall and reinstall the game, repairing the game, verifying the files, updating the game...) and that the tech support told me to do.

It worked fine on my PC and then one day it just stopped working and won't even launch.

Did anyone have that problem, and if so how was it resolved ? 

Message 1 of 5 (424 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 won't launch

@FloupMt  You do need to update the Nvidia graphics driver, and you can get the newest version here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/191970/en-us/

But additionally, it would be best to plug the monitor directly into the graphics card rather than the motherboard.  It looks like the GPU has HDMI, VGA, and DVI outputs, one of which you're probably currently using anyway.  (Your dxdiag lists the connection type as HD15, but sometimes the device inaccurately reports the connection type.)  So after installing the new driver, try switching the connection and restarting your computer.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (299 Views)

All Replies

@vdrqbl4j35xh  Please move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, if it launches, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you've moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just let me know whether you can get far enough to start a new save and play in live mode for a bit.

If the new save works, you can start transferring your saves and other content from the old Sims 4 folder to the new one.  Test the content in batches, and if you run into any more problems, split and retest the last batch of files you moved until you find the cause.

If the game won't load properly even when you're using a clean folder with nothing in it, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 5 (389 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey, thanks for your answer. 

I tried doing that but there is just a black screen for a few seconds, and I'm back on the desktop.

Attached is the diag.

Thanks again for taking the time to help, 

Message 3 of 5 (326 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@FloupMt 

There is a problem with you graphics driver that are very old. please go to Nvidia.com to upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 5 (319 Views)

@FloupMt  You do need to update the Nvidia graphics driver, and you can get the newest version here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/191970/en-us/

But additionally, it would be best to plug the monitor directly into the graphics card rather than the motherboard.  It looks like the GPU has HDMI, VGA, and DVI outputs, one of which you're probably currently using anyway.  (Your dxdiag lists the connection type as HD15, but sometimes the device inaccurately reports the connection type.)  So after installing the new driver, try switching the connection and restarting your computer.

Message 5 of 5 (300 Views)