Sims 4 will not update

by wiesje123

Original Post

Sims 4 will not update

★★ Novice

I've had this issue with the Sims 4 for about 2-3 days now, while I played it with no issue not even a week ago.

When I go to my game manager, and click on the Sims 4 it says there is an update availible, there also doesn't seem to be a way to play the game without updating it first.

Once I press update, it starts verifying the game files in the download manager. It stays on 0% for a little while, and then gives me the error message attached.

I have already tried the simple things like restarting my computer and repairing the game. I have also uninstalled origin ''the hard way'' and cleared the cache, but nothing has worked so far.

I have no clue on what to do next. I am playing on PC, and I have about 31 expansions installed as well...

If anyone could help me out that'd be great because this is really starting to frustrate me...

Message 1 of 9 (1,256 Views)

Re: Sims 4 will not update

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same exact issue and can't find a solution. Have tried repairing the game, running origin in administrator mode, uninstalling and reinstalling origin. No matter what I do I just get the same error over and over. Very frustrated!

Message 2 of 9 (1,228 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the exact same problem, I couldn't install the latest expansion/update and I ended up uninstalling everything trying to fix it.

Since then I haven't been able to re-install it.

I was a hair's length away from just reloading my computer but ended up installing origin on 3 different computers and was getting the exact same error/issue for the Sims 4 on each PC.

So my computer isn't at fault.

Hope a resolution is found soon.

I miss my Sims!

Message 3 of 9 (1,209 Views)

@wiesje123 @krissij and @raven5635  Try using the EA App, which you can download here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/FAQ-EA-Desktop-Beta/td-p/9090992

If you want, you can go back to using Origin once Sims 4 is updated.  You may need to reinstall Origin—the EA App can uninstall it automatically—but it's fine to have both on the same computer.  You just can't run both at the same time.  If you see an error when trying to open Origin, open the Task Manager and kill the EABackgroundService, or restart your computer.

For future reference, you can always put Origin in offline mode if you don't want to wait for the game to update before playing.  Once Origin is offline, the orange Update button should change back to Play.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 9 (1,183 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi! Thank you for your help!

I downloaded the EA app and it automatically uninstalled Origin. In the EA app it still says that there is an update required, and when I press update it gives me the error massage attached. I have tried clearing the cache via the EA app, which didn't do anything. I've also tried repearing the game, but in the download manager it stayed on 0%, so I gave up on that.

Besides that, I've been able to acces the game via offline mode but I can't help but wonder if there is a possible way to still update my game?

Message 5 of 9 (1,126 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict do u happen to know what to do if the ea app doesn't show all of the dlc i have? like i can download most of the packs on there but theres about three packs that dont show up at all
Message 6 of 9 (1,099 Views)

@wiesje123  As of now, the only other suggestions are doing a clean uninstall and reinsall of Origin and/or the EA App (using Revo Uninstaller is the most thorough option); and trying a different connection, for example using your phone as a mobile hotspot (while it's on data, not your home network) if your computer has wifi.  EA is aware of this issue and is trying to fix it, but I don't know how long that will take.

@shalfart  The EA App has had this issue in the past, and the suggestion in the past was to use Origin to download the missing content.  If you can install update the base game and most of your packs through the EA App, it's worth trying to install the other packs through Origin—for some people, Origin downloads certain packs without issues.  Otherwise, you can try the above suggestions, and if they don't help, you'll need to wait for EA to resolve this issue.

Message 7 of 9 (1,066 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm having this exact issue and it's frustrating. Since I just recently also had the "The Sims 4 base game needs to be registered to your EA account" not too long ago. I cant even enter the game since the update is mandatory, I wanted to get that free Desert Lux kit for anyone who already owned the sims 4 base game but I guess I'm not going to be able to since its a limited time offer and knowing EA they probably wont fix it until the offer is no longer valid 

Message 8 of 9 (992 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Nakura_7292  The problem with updating is a known issue, and hopefully it'll be resolved soon.  For the free kit, you can post in this thread if you're having trouble redeeming it:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Under-Investigation-Free-Desert-Luxe-Kit-Unable-to-be-...

And just to be clear, you don't need to download the kit within the alloted time; you only need to claim it.

Message 9 of 9 (979 Views)