Sims 4 takes forever to copy files (Win 10)

by Nathipha

Original Post

Sims 4 takes forever to copy files (Win 10)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi!

I've got the DVD versions of the base game and most EPs because my internet is pretty slow. Yesterday and today I've been trying to get Sims 4 to install on my new Windows 10 PC but I keep running into the same problem with copying speed.

First I tried installing directly from the DVD but Origin told me that it would take over 4h to copy the files for the base game (about 10gb). I let it do its thing and currently I'm trying to install "Get To Work" but it's the same problem with this one! Installing from DVD was going to take 2 hours according to Origin, so I simply copied the files to my SSD (took less than 10 minutes) and started installing from there but still: 2 hours!

I've got an NVMe, which is a PCIe SSD with write/read speeds of over 2500mb/s, so the game should be done installing in less than 5 minutes (probably more like 1-2 or even less), so what's going on here?! How do I make Origin install the games faster?

Message 1 of 5 (446 Views)

Re: Sims 4 takes forever to copy files (Win 10)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

A quick update:

Support told me to clear Origin's cache by deleting specific files, which I did. Afterwards installing EPs failed every time, telling me to download them instead and I didn't find a way to update Origin to fix it, so I uninstalled/reinstalled it. The guy from support told me that doing that would only delete Origin but not the games but guess what it did: It still deleted the main game, which had taken 4 hours to copy/install!

So not only do I still have to deal with slow copying of files but now I also have to reinstall the biggest one and download the updates (6gb!) for it again! Angry

Message 2 of 5 (415 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Nathipha   There are many things that can affect data transfer speeds. You can copy the installers but you can't copy individual game files as the installer takes care of that. Regardless even if you install from dvd you have to activate the game online with Origin. Then the game will probably try to update from the EA servers. Without knowing your computer's hardware it's hard to see where the issue is. Origin is a stand alone program and once the game is installed you should be able to uninstall and redownload Origin and install Origin without affecting the game. A guess is that Origin was trying to install the game or an ep when you did something and that could affect the stability of the install. You have to have the installer downloaded (or copied) and then you run the installer which will uncompress content and then copy files to their proper location. Sometimes even if you have the dvd version the game will still default to try to install from online. It might help if you attach your computer's dxdiag to the paper clip in the lower right of the forum's response windows.

Message 3 of 5 (391 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Origin did it again yesterday:

It didn't load the library, so I restarted it. When it was back, the "Sims 4" icon had a small "Download" icon. I had the explorer open the whole time and the files ("Sims 4" folder,...) were still there before I restarted Origin, afterwards they were gone (I checked the trash, yes). Teeth bared

@robert591

Yes, Origin updated the main game (multiple times already) but it did that after installing it and I'm pretty sure it actually installed from disc and didn't download it.

Sims 4 + EPs was already installed on my old PC and everything's already bound to my Origin account.

My PC (freshly built/set up):

- Win 10 (64bit)

- i9-9900k

- 32gb DDR4 RAM

- gpu isn't built in yet

- System NVMe: Evo 970

- Game NVMe: Evo 970 Plus

If anything is slow with this kind of hardware I'm honestly willing to blame the app for it!

I have 2 optical drives (1x DVD, 1xBR) but the copying speeds are bad for either - about the same like installing from SSD.

I'm now 99,9% sure that Origin is the problem because:

The last couple of times I installed the "Sims 4" base game I downloaded the latest version of Origin and only then installed the game. This time I uninstalled Origin (latest version) and installed the "Sims 4" base game from DVD, which also installed some old Origin version: Copying took about 15 minutes in total (instead of 4 hours)!

Afterwards Origin tried to update itself (169mb) but it failed every time because "UpdateTool.exe has stopped working" (tried starting it as admin and compatibility mode - no change), so I had to manually install the latest version of Origin on top of the old one (to not risk losing everything again).

But now copying the EPs takes 1.5 to 2 hours again (for 1.5-2.5gb)!

Message 4 of 5 (371 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Nathipha   You really need to run dxdiag and attach the text file created to the paper clip in the lower right of the forum response window. Thank you

Message 5 of 5 (359 Views)