Sims 4 saving on onedrive instead of desktop

by mimmie2002

Original Post

Sims 4 saving on onedrive instead of desktop

★★★ Newbie

All of my files from Sims 4 are saving in Onedrive, but I want them to save on the desktop of my PC. How do I more all my files from Onedrive without deleting any of my saved games, and how do I change the settings so that everything from Sims 4 automatically saves on my desktop and not Onedrive?

Message 1 of 33 (42,280 Views)

Re: Sims 4 saving on onedrive instead of desktop

Champion (Retired)

@mimmie2002 

It will not save on your desktop.

Disable the automatic synchronization of Onedrive with your Documents folder. When you later start the Sims 4 it will create a new user folder locally. You can then copy the content from Onedrive to the local Sims 4 folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 33 (42,230 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@jpkarlsen My sims 4 folder is connected to OneDrive am i able to make it go to my Harddrive?
Message 3 of 33 (40,313 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Hellerts 

Yes, do as I suggested above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 33 (40,302 Views)

★★★ Guide

How to disable the automatic synchronization of Onedrive with your Documents folder (since the above comment does not actual help people who might not know how to do that).

1. Unhide you data libraries if not already - In File Explorer, Select View Navigation Plane > Show Libraries 

2. Expand the Libraries Section in File Explorer's navigation pane (below This PC)

3. Click Documents under Libraries. The files and folders will be divided into 2 sections with one of them having OneDrive as it's path. Drag the files and folders from the One drive section to the other one

4. Right click on the Documents in the Navigation pane (in Libraries). Select Properties. Select Location, Then set the local location (C:\Users\yourname\Documents generally) and click set save location button

This will change your local Documents to your default Documents, rather than your OneDrive. This is the same process for all of your other files that are synced with OneDrive. Windows has recently made it rather difficult to change the settings so I hope this helps. 

Message 5 of 33 (40,297 Views)

★★ Novice

Mine won't let me do that :S

Message 6 of 33 (39,801 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This worked for me. All my progress was saved and my game data isn’t saving to OneDrive anymore. Thank you!!! 

Message 7 of 33 (37,943 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Wow! Thank you! This is actually working for me!

Message 8 of 33 (37,768 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm having a similar problem. I followed the steps. However, my custom content will only appear in the game if I put them in the mods folder that is under the C: OneDrive. If I put the CC in the new D: documents folder it won't show up. When I try to change the location where the documents will be stored I get an error:

Can't move folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access denied

Message 9 of 33 (36,418 Views)

@JINXEDFOXY  Does this help?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-documents-folder-location-because/...

If not, please let me know whether the default location for Documents is currently in OneDrive.  You can find out by opening a File Explorer window, right-clicking on the Documents icon in the left panel, and selecting Properties > Location.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 10 of 33 (36,412 Views)