Sims 4 saves gone

by strangemouse

Original Post

Sims 4 saves gone

★★ Novice

Hello all

I was playing the Sims 4 today after and made a mistake (accidentally aged up), so closed the game and went to retrieve one of the auto backups (as per https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-...) but my save folder (C:\Users\Victoria\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4) is completely empty! What has happened? Is there no longer an auto backup system?

I have Cats and Dogs, Get to Work and a couple of days ago bought Seasons, but no mods or custom content.

I have contacted EA Support but they say the files must have been deleted from the PC but in that case why are they not in my Recycle Bin? I have checked my PC in case there is another folder system somewhere, but nothing.

I have an back up somewhere on a drive image but it is a year out of date so am really fed up that I have lost so many households and game time and not sure I can be bothered to play again, but have just spent money on Seasons.

Super frustrating!

Victoria

Message 1 of 8 (2,745 Views)

Re: Sims 4 saves gone

Champion (Retired)

Here is an easy way to find out which folder your game is using: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 8 (2,736 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks but I found the correct folder, but it is empty :-(

Message 3 of 8 (2,714 Views)

Champion (Retired)

That is not the correct folder or you would have no option to load a game or continue playing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 8 (2,710 Views)

★★ Novice
But that's the problem, there is nothing to load or continue, it's as if I've never played before.
Message 5 of 8 (2,701 Views)

Champion (Retired)

OK so it actually is a case of of them being deleted. Usually it is just because the game used another folder,

If you do start a new game and save it the savegame does appear in that folder?

Message 6 of 8 (2,699 Views)

★★ Pro

@strangemouse

Sims 4 no longer auto saves any games and it doesn't use the Origin cloud save feature. What may have happened is the saves may have gotten moved some how.

Have you tried searching your computer for Sims 4?

Click Start, in the search box type in Sims 4. Go to where the path takes you.

By default it should go to: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

- This is where user files get installed and saved.

If it takes you to OneDrive, move the Sims 4 folder to your desktop and turn off or disable OneDrive.

Moving the Sims 4 folder to the desktop or back to the Electronic Arts folder and turning off OneDrive is safe to do and helps the user folder not be saved to OneDrive anymore.

Sims 4 and Onedrive don't work well together. If the user files aren't in the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 folder, the game can't see or use them.

How To: Turn off, disable, or uninstall OneDrive
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9...

Message 7 of 8 (2,689 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes new games appear in there ok. I didn't realise there were no auto saves any more :-( 

Looks like it has gone for good.

Message 8 of 8 (2,682 Views)