Sims 4 running on Win 11 platform crashes in about 10 minutes

by patchell3

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 running on Win 11 platform crashes in about 10 minutes

★★ Novice

I seem to have the same problem as OxfordGal with windows 11 and Sims 4.  Unfortunately that thread ended before there was a conclusion.  It is pretty much the same, the games runs for about 10-20 minutes in either build or play modes.  Generally, it just crashes.  Sometime I get a BSOD.  Windows 11 is up to date, The Sims 4 is up to date, the NVidea driver is up to date.  I was going to update the BIOS, but GigaByte says "You could do this if you really want to, but DON'T do it".  I have reinstalled the Sims several times, the last time I even deleted the Electronic Arts folder to give the game a fresh start.  I have even added a program that lets me set the fans at maximum RPM.  This is also a fairly new computer, and I switched over to it  from a Win 10 machine, which had no problems, except it died.  Frown  I hope there is a magic solution.  I am starting to go into Sims Withdraws. Thankyou.

Message 1 of 7 (619 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 running on Win 11 platform crashes in about 10 minutes

★★ Novice

OK, I am pretty sure I at least now know the cause of my grief.  It is a temperature problem, and I am also sure it is the CPU that is having the problem.  I am at least limping along and The Sim have been running now for over an hour.  How I got here is I did call Cyber Power Tech Assistance.  The guy I talked to, who was very nice, had me take the side off.  His advice was also pretty useless, but that is another story.  But as long as the cover was off, I ran it like that.  Nope, still crashes.  I got a fan that I placed so that it blew right into the computer.  Well, no crashing, but this is not a solution, just the final nail.  It will be two weeks before I can get it back to best buy, but at the very least` I can play The Sims when I have a hankering.  Thank you everybody, I could not have gotten here without your support, and also thanks to OxfordGirl, even if she has no idea that she helped, and hopefully this thread will help anyone else with this problem.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (510 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@patchell3   What is the wattage of the PSU (power supply)? Are you using a stock cpu cooler?

Message 2 of 7 (578 Views)

★★ Novice

Well, I don't actually know that.  Let me see if I can find out here...there is nothing printed on the power supply.  One would hope that Cyber Power would put an adequate power supply in the machine, but then again I have been surprised in the past.  As far as cooling, again I can only guess.  I doubt that it is water cooled, but the 3060 does have two fans on it.  I have set the fans at max, and this did not seem to make any difference.

Message 3 of 7 (568 Views)

@patchell3  The power supply info will be printed on the unit itself, and you should be able to see it by taking off the back panel of the computer case.  But I've never seen CyberpowerPC include less than a 600W PSU, which would be sufficient for your build, so I doubt the wattage is the issue.  Still, it's worth checking the power cables on both ends for loose connections.

It's unlikely that your graphics card temps are the issue here—you have a new GPU, and it sounds like you've confirmed that both fans are in fact running.  The CPU temps could be high, however.  Cyberpower has recently received some bad reviews for (among other things) excessively high CPU temps caused by improperly mounting the cooler.  Rather than taking it apart, you can install hwinfo (free download) and check temps on idle and while in-game.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't even need to install it; just choose the portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you prefer.  If you do want to install, be sure to click the button for hwinfo itself, not for lansweeper.  For reference, you really only need to worry if temperatures are climbing into the high 90s C, and if your CPU stabilizes below 90º while under load, that's perfectly fine.  You'd want your GPU to stay below 80º; that data is close to the bottom of hwinfo's list.

Your dxdiag also lists a few BlueScreens, but I can't tell exactly what's happening without more information.  So please upload a few crash dumps: open a File Explorer window, enter C:\Windows\Minidump in the address bar, select the last two or three dump files, right-click and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and Paste.  From there, you can zip the files together, upload the .zip to the third-party filehosting site of your choice (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and link it here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 7 (557 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the Info.  I did run hwinfo last night, and one of the cores in the CPU's did hit 98C, I assume, just before it crashed.  After it hit 98C it cooled down pretty quick.  You can have a blue screen if hits some critical temperature while in Karnal mode.  But like I said, it only does that on occasion.  Looks like I will making a trip back to Best Buy where it was purchased.  I was surprised that it got up to 98C, until I checked the specs on the I1700, 150W is crazy.  I can't figure out how they can get how you can get 150 Amps into an IC, but I guess they do.

Message 5 of 7 (529 Views)

★★ Novice

OK, I am pretty sure I at least now know the cause of my grief.  It is a temperature problem, and I am also sure it is the CPU that is having the problem.  I am at least limping along and The Sim have been running now for over an hour.  How I got here is I did call Cyber Power Tech Assistance.  The guy I talked to, who was very nice, had me take the side off.  His advice was also pretty useless, but that is another story.  But as long as the cover was off, I ran it like that.  Nope, still crashes.  I got a fan that I placed so that it blew right into the computer.  Well, no crashing, but this is not a solution, just the final nail.  It will be two weeks before I can get it back to best buy, but at the very least` I can play The Sims when I have a hankering.  Thank you everybody, I could not have gotten here without your support, and also thanks to OxfordGirl, even if she has no idea that she helped, and hopefully this thread will help anyone else with this problem.

Message 6 of 7 (511 Views)

[ Edited ]

@patchell3  When you do go to Best Buy, make sure someone takes off the CPU cooler and re-mounts it.  It's very possible that the cooler was mounted too loose the first time around and doesn't have enough contact with the processor's IHS to transfer heat efficiently.  Or you could do that yourself if you want.

Just fyi, some BlueScreens are caused by a component overheating, but the ones in your dxdiag are not, at least not directly.  Bug Check 139 means the kernel detected corruption in a critical data structure, and 3B covers a number of exceptions, a breakpoint error in your case.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 7 (495 Views)