Sims 4 repeatedly crashing

by Nilvi007

Original Post

Sims 4 repeatedly crashing

★★ Novice

Hello everyone,

I know, a similar post has been made quite a couple of times; however, I can't figure out the problem. Maybe because I haven't touched the game for a couple of months, but nevermind.

Everytime I play Sims 4, it crashes after about 5-10 minutes.

I have tried the following things:
1. Reinstalling the game

2. Updating the necessary drivers (maybe I've missed one?)

3. Cleaning the Sims 4 cache folder

4. Changing the graphic settings to "middle" or "low", even though it worked perfectly fine beforehand

Anyways, attached you'll find the DxDiag file, because this is the first thing that will be asked for.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6 (465 Views)

Re: Sims 4 repeatedly crashing

@Nilvi007  Does your whole computer crash along with the game?  Your dxdiag lists several BlueScreens, but they may or may not be related.

For now, please try playing in a clean user folder.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can play a new save without getting any crashes.  Give it half an hour or so just to be thorough.

If you get another crash, please look for a related crash dump.  Click Windows key-R and copy and paste this:

%LocalAppData%\CrashDumps

When you enter, you'll see a list of .dmp files.  If one of them is from Sims 4, please upload it to a third-party filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and link it here.

If you don't see a Sims 4 crash dump, that's useful information too.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (457 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the advice!
I did it just like you said and unfortunately, it crashed again (updated DxDiag attached). Sometimes there appears a blue screen but not always, cause the crash is so sudden that my PC shuts down almost immediately.

Btw, no dump files in the AppData folder either.

Message 3 of 6 (444 Views)

@Nilvi007  I see the new BlueScreens in your dxdiag, so it sounds like they're what's crashing the game and your system.  Please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If anything installs, restart again when it's done.

Try to play again, and if you get another shutdown, please look for system crash dumps, which will be here:

C:\Windows\Minidump

For any from today, right-click on the file(s) and select Copy, then right-click on your desktop and select Paste.  From there, you can zip multiple files together if necessary, upload to a free filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and link it here.

If there's a MEMORY.dmp file in C:\Windows, please upload that as well.  I'd rather look at the (much shorter) minidumps first, but in case their info isn't all that specific, the longer dump may be useful.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 6 (430 Views)

★★ Novice

No error occured after the DISM.exe check. It went perfectly fine and I scanned the sfc. Since I'm from Germany, I'll just paraphrase the message I got after the scan:
"Windows ressource defence found some damaged data and repaired them." And a notification where the CBS.log data can be found.

I'll restart the PC and will give you an update about what happened.

Thanks a lot for helping me troubleshoot!

Message 5 of 6 (420 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, so unfortunately, it crashed again, with blue screen. Before that, no updates were due. (I forgot to mention that I updated Windows prior to starting this thread here)

There were two minidumps and one MEMORY.dmp; all three are from today. Here's the link to the files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4vqwlbojqpbiuu/062221-16312-01.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3smfg7879tr89xo/062221-19593-01.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uarj24i9fkm88w1/MEMORY.DMP?dl=0

In case you can't access them, please let me know. I'm not quite used to Dropbox.

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 6 (408 Views)