Sims 4 "game data missing or damaged" error and I need help

by funiffy

Original Post

Sims 4 "game data missing or damaged" error and I need help

★★★ Newbie

Hey! I have downloaded the Sims 4 game over three times and I am continually having a message pop-up saying that the game data is missing or damaged. I have been reading the answers to this question, but everyone is talking about computer terms that I have yet to understand. Could someone please help me out and put everything in "newbie" terms? Thanks!

Message 1 of 7 (651 Views)

Re: Sims 4 "game data missing or damaged" error and I need help

Champion (Retired)

With "Computer terms you don't understand" do you mean that you are playing on a Console (Playstation/Xbox)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 7 (640 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Hi;

Game Data Missing or Damaged usually means that Sims 4 (If you're playing on PC) can't reach integral files that it needs to run; it usually ends up being a permissions issue.

(To explain: When you are working in Microsoft Windows, any time you log onto the computer, your user profile has specific permissions to access files; if it doesn't have all the permissions the game needs, you can't run the game as it was intended.)

Here's a few steps you can try to see if it's a permissions issue:

1: Close Origin.

2: Right-Click on the Origin icon, then select "Run as Administrator." (You may get a notification asking you to accept, do so.)

3: Attempt to run Sims 4 from Origin.

If it doesn't work this way, or if you are prompted for an Administrator password or something, you may have to switch user profiles temporarily, or adjust your own permissions. Are you the only one who uses this computer, if this is the case? If so, I can attempt to advise you further, otherwise if multiple people use the computer, you may need to ask others who use the computer if they have Administrator permissions; they may need to provide you with similar permissions to run the game.

- B

Message 3 of 7 (627 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am playing on PC

Message 4 of 7 (608 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am the only person who uses the computer. How would I change the permissions?

Message 5 of 7 (607 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Open Origin and rightclick the game in your game library. Click on repair. Let us know if that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 6 of 7 (590 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

The steps I provided earlier will allow you to temporarily use the program as an Administrator.

If you're in Windows 10, do the following so we can check what your current user permissions are:

1: Select the Windows button on the lower-left.

2: Right-Click your user icon on the bar, and select Change Account Settings.

3: Underneath your user icon that comes up on the Account Settings menu, see if the words "Administrator" show up. (If it does not, this means you are either a user with special permissions, or a standard user.)

Please let me know what it says before we proceed.

- B

Message 7 of 7 (577 Views)