Re: Sims 4 opens origin

by L0uio

Original Post

Sims 4 opens origin

★★ Novice

Whenever I try to open the game in any way, it just opens origin instead, and when I try to play the game in origin, nothing happens. I've followed all sorts of tutorials on how to fix it but nothing has worked. I've tried deleting and reinstalling origin, making a copy of my game and taking all my cc out, but even with a base game copy in my electronic arts folder, it still does the same thing, so I'm starting to think it's something with the actual program file or with origin?

Please help!

Message 1 of 17 (844 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@L0uio 

Move your Mods folder to the Desktop and delete localthumbcache.package. Then test the game
If it works now check for updates to your Mods and CC. Add it back a little at a time while testing until you have found all that are broken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 17 (832 Views)

★★ Novice

I moved the config file out and it did make a difference, instead of origin opening and just staying there, it opened and closed, loaded a bit, but the game still didn't open. I moved all my mods out onto my desktop, so the only file left in mods is "resource.cfg", but the game still will not open Frown 

Message 3 of 17 (818 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@L0uio 

Please post a DxDiag. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
You can attach the txt file directly to your answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 17 (801 Views)

★★ Novice

here you go!

Message 5 of 17 (791 Views)

★★ Novice
@jpkarlsen Hello! is there any update on the dxdiag I sent? I don't want to seem impatient or anything, I was just wondering if you recieved it or not, is all. Take all the time you need of course, thanks for your help Standard smile
Message 6 of 17 (683 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@L0uio 

Sorry you did not tag me when posting it so I missed it.

Your graphics driver are a bit out of date so i recommend visiting downloadcenter.intel.com to update it Consider installing Intel driver and support assistant to keep you drivers updated.

Sims 4 Studio hangs a lot so check if there should be an update.

Delete localthumbcache.package after removing Mods then test the game If it still does not start repair the game.

Message 7 of 17 (666 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@jpkarlsen 

Ok, I followed everything you said, and I had 3 intel updates to do, so I did all of those, including the graphics driver. I actually deleted sims 4 studio a couple days ago because it had caused me problems in the past and I figured I would just reinstall it if I need to after this situation is fixed, so that hopefully shouldn't be a problem anymore. I deleted the thumb cache package like you said, and repaired the game, but still nothing- I just ran another DxDiag and attached it here, I'm not sure what else to do. 

Message 8 of 17 (657 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@L0uio 

Try doing a factory reset as described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

Message 9 of 17 (634 Views)

★★ Novice

@jpkarlsen 

I followed the steps in the post, and when it got to the part of opening the game to create a new sims 4 folder, the issue still persisted, and I wasn't able to open the game. This means it also did not create a new folder in my documents. Frown I also uninstalled and reinstalled the game, still nothing.

Message 10 of 17 (570 Views)