Sims 4 opens, black screen appears, closes itself

by Fleuwz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 opens, black screen appears, closes itself

★★★ Novice

Hello!

When I try to open The Sims 4, a black screen appears and it automatically closes. I tried redownloading the game, repairing and removing all my mods but that didn't work. Someone told me to name the file: "Sims 4 Backup Folder" and it worked but after trying again it didn't anymore. Can someone help me, please?

Message 1 of 5 (517 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 opens, black screen appears, closes itself

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I was looking at other people's posts with the same problem as me and saw that you also replied to them saying to open the game in window mode and I tried that. It works now!! Thank you so so so so much!! All players with problems here appreciate you for the effort you put in helping them!

View in thread

Message 5 of 5 (396 Views)

All Replies

@Fleuwz  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus program you use.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (465 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I use Avast (free) but I marked the Origin and Sims 4 files as trusted. I'm not English so you'll see some Dutch things and names in the dxdiag.

Message 3 of 5 (450 Views)

@Fleuwz  Please make sure you've covered all the Avast settings listed here:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/10/add-exceptions-to-anti-virus-programs.html

Try disabling your Adobe software as well.  I don't know why it would interfere, but one other player did report that it helped, and a component of the software is crashing repeatedly, according to your dxdiag.  So it's worth trying.  You can open the Task Manager and close any Adobe processes that appear; be sure to check the background processes list as well.

Please continue to test with a clean Sims 4 folder, as in, your existing folder needs to either be renamed (as you've done already) or be moved to a different location.

If these steps don't help, please look for related entries in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors that mention Origin or Sims 4 starting now, click "View technical details" and copy the info.  You can post the text in a reply, or paste it into a text document and attach the file.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (425 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I was looking at other people's posts with the same problem as me and saw that you also replied to them saying to open the game in window mode and I tried that. It works now!! Thank you so so so so much!! All players with problems here appreciate you for the effort you put in helping them!

Message 5 of 5 (397 Views)