Sims 4 only runs in the background and won’t open! PLEASE HELP

by itsadorehunty

Original Post

Sims 4 only runs in the background and won’t open! PLEASE HELP

★★★ Newbie

I tried opening the game today for the first time this year and every time I press the “Play” button to open it, nothing happens, Origin just minimizes into the task bar and if I click on it again, the “Play” button on the game is grayed out if that makes sense. But whenever I check the task manager it shows that both TS4 and Origin are running, however TS4 takes up about no memory at all... I’ve tried pretty much everything - restarting, rebooting the game, clearing cache, updating the software, removing the mods folder, performing a clean boot... NOTHING WORKS

Please, please help!!

P.S. I have Windows 10

Message 1 of 6 (1,284 Views)

Re: Sims 4 only runs in the background and won’t open! PLEASE HELP

@itsadorehunty  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus program you use.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (1,261 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you!! But I finally managed to fix it somehow unfortunately half of my cc got lost for some reason :/

Message 3 of 6 (1,250 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey maybe you can help me with this as well.

i only have sims 4 for about 2 days now. i tried to play this morning and have the exact same issue as the thread topic.

i tried everything,

also deleting and reinstall and all that jazz.

but nothing.

it runs in background but wont open.

i have attached my dxdiag file.

also i didnt have an anti virus program before, but have no installed sophos to check if it works with that but still nothing.

please help Frown

Message 4 of 6 (1,101 Views)

★★★ Newbie

do you remember what you have done to fix it?

Message 5 of 6 (1,100 Views)

@199120221311  Please get rid of Sophos.  The point of asking about an antivirus was never to suggest that this person add one; it was to address potential issues arising from one already installed.  Adding Sophos to the mix can only complicate things.

Please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

Then move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto the desktop.  When you launch the game, if it opens at all, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save and play in live mode for a bit.  If so, you can start adding your saves and other content from the old Sims 4 folder to the new one.  Keep testing so you find out right away if the game stops working again.

If you can't play even after moving the folder and before adding anything to the new one, please look for new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and you'll see a chart of errors and updates with a column for each day.

For any errors that mention Sims 4 or Origin, or any that happen at the exact time you try to launch the game, right-click on the error name and select "View technical details," then copy the info and paste it here.  I'm only interested in errors that happen after you move the folder.  If you don't see any, let me know; that's useful information too.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 6 (1,069 Views)