Re: Sims 4 on USB hard drive?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 4 on USB hard drive?

★★★ Novice

So my laptop has the storage of only 60GB, and right now I am attempting to update my Sims 4, but only have 1GB left. Is it possible to download and move the files into a USB hard drive instead? If so, how? I have already tried to clear as much storage as I can on my laptop, but it is not enough. I need help Frown

Message 1 of 9 (3,566 Views)

Sims 4 on USB drive

★★★ Novice

Will Sims 4 run fine if I move it onto a USB drive with 30 GB. The reason for this is because my laptop can no longer support and has no more storage to update Sims 4, no matter how many documents I delete to make storage.

Message 2 of 9 (3,546 Views)

@JennaStaAna2005  Yes, it's possible to move the game to an external device, although it will run slower than if it were on your internal drive.  Still, having 1 GB free is not a good situation.

The first thing to try is to move the game using Origin.  Create a folder on the USB (label it Origin Games or whatever, just not The Sims 4).  Open Origin, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Move Game.  Choose the folder you created on your USB stick, and Origin should take care of the rest.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 9 (3,532 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Is it possible for the Sims 4 to update in the USB drive? The Sims 4 has not reached 100% and I can not back up any more storage. @puzzlezaddict 

Message 4 of 9 (3,513 Views)

@JennaStaAna2005  The game should be able to update while installed on the USB.  It shouldn't matter where the program files are located, as long as Origin has access to them.

You can try clearing Origin's cache to stop the update, then moving Sims 4 to the USB before it starts updating.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

It also might help to clear out your Downloads folder, if you haven't already.

Message 5 of 9 (3,471 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Sims 4 is still updating by my C drive. I have copied all my Sims 4 files into my USB drive. Should I delete all of the Sims 4 folders on my laptop so that the update could only go through the USB drive?

Message 6 of 9 (3,443 Views)

@JennaStaAna2005  Did you use Origin's Move Game function to move the folders, as described?  Or did you just copy and paste?  How to go forward from here depends on how the files were placed on the USB.

Message 7 of 9 (3,420 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Sims 4 is still in the process of repairing, therefore it did not give me an option to move the game. So what I did was copy and paste the folder that has all my Sims 4 data into my USB hard drive. I am very confused Standard smile

Message 8 of 9 (3,413 Views)

@JennaStaAna2005  Okay, so then there are two ways you can go.  You can delete the files off the USB, cancel the repair, clear Origin's cache, and restart your computer.  Then you can open Origin, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, select Move Game, and choose the folder that you created on your USB as the destination.  You wouldn't move any files yourself, you'd let Origin do it for you.

The other possibility is that you clear Origin's cache, delete the files off your main hard drive and leave them on the USB, and restart.  Then you go into Origin, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Locate Game.  From there you'd select the game on your USB, and Origin should verify the install.  It's still a good idea to repair, then update.

If the Locate Game function doesn't work, clear Origin's cache, restart your computer, open Origin, and click Download on the Sims 4 icon.  When it asks you where you'd like to download the game, choose the location on the USB.  Origin should start the download but then verify the existing files instead of downloading them fresh.

Any of these approaches can work, and they all do work at least a lot of the time.  If one doesn't, just try something else.

Message 9 of 9 (3,406 Views)