Re: Sims 4 not working on Windows 11

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 not working on Windows 11

★★★★ Novice

I upgraded to Windows 11 and when I try to launch Sims 4 it automatically crashes to desktop. I've tried repairing the game, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and I've even tried booting up the game with no CC or Mods. Is there any other way I can fix this? 

Message 1 of 74 (37,779 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Evelyn2456  Your dxdiag clearly shows that Sims 4 is crashing due to a fault with the Nvidia driver.  That driver is from 2017, so it's no surprise that it doesn't work well with Sims 4.  The Intel driver is even older, so it's worth updating too.  You can get the newest Intel driver for your iGPU (the one dated February 5, 2021, not the newer version) here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80817/intel-core-i54460-processor-6m-cache-up-t...

and the newest Nvidia driver here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/204574/en-us/

Install the Intel driver first, then restart, then the Nvidia driver, then restart again, then test Sims 4.

By the way, you'd get better performance if you plugged your monitor into the Nvidia card rather than the motherboard.  You'd need an adapter: it looks like your monitor only supports VGA and HDMI, while the Nvidia card supports DVI and DisplayPort.  But adapters are cheap.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 67 of 74 (11,453 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@davidballardjr 

The Sims 4 works well with Windows 11 so we need to look elsewhere.

Move your Mods folder to the Desktop and delete localthumbcache.package. 

Rightclick the game in Origin and select Repair You need to wait for all packs to be repaired it will take some time. 

Then try to start the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 74 (37,725 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've tried everything but I still can't get it to run on Windows 11. Sims 3 runs on Windows 11 without any issues. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to uninstall Sims 4 but I may have no choice. How did others get Sims 4 to run on Windows 11?

Message 3 of 74 (37,682 Views)

@davidballardjr  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

If you had to force Windows 11 to install, please also let me know how you did so.

Message 4 of 74 (37,631 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I managed to get it to work by reinstalling Windows 11

Message 5 of 74 (37,628 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Mine wont run on windows 11 its freezing loads forever 

Message 6 of 74 (37,588 Views)

@drakebates456  Please move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can get far enough to start a new save and play in live mode for a bit.  Let me know either way.

If you can't start a new save, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 7 of 74 (37,579 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you brother. I switched to windows 11 and it was not responding after splash screen. Tried everything reinstalled it. But this solution fixed it in seconds. Thanks again

Message 8 of 74 (37,212 Views)

★ Guide

I'm having the same issue. The list of things I have done include:

1. removing mods and clearing the cache files
  2. repairing the game
  3. checking for windows updates
  4. checking my video drivers for updates
  5. renaming the sims 4 folder in documents

After renaming the folder I got FARTHER but it still crashes before it gets to the play screen. The music crackles and stutters before that happens (I do not have any updates available for my sound driver, I checked in case that might be an issue).

I've attached my dxdiag. At the bottom it mentions the TS4 exe but I have no idea what it means. 

Message 9 of 74 (37,037 Views)

@moxiegraphix  These errors in your dxdiag:

Fault bucket 1454232356097966899, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: TS4_x64.exe
P2: 1.80.69.1030
P3: 6130f46a
P4: d3d9.dll
P5: 4.9.1.1003
P6: 5ffa0e92
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000020ce1c
P9: 
P10: 

mean that TS4_x64.exe, the executable that runs 64-bit Sims 4, is crashing with an access violation (c0000005) and that the faulting module is d3d9.dll.  Access violations could be caused by almost anything, so that info often isn't helpful.  But d3d9.dll belongs to DirectX 9, which Sims 4 uses, so the place to start is by reinstalling DX9.  I posted detailed instructions for doing so here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/SIMS-3-GAME-WON-T-LAUNCH-WINDOWS-10/m-p/10711778#M2478...

(That thread is about a different error, but reinstalling DX9 is the same either way.)  Restart your computer afterwards and before trying to play.

If Sims 4 still crashes, please look for any new errors in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes.  You'll see a list of errors and updates, with a column for each day.  (Today is all the way on the right.)

For any errors from after you reinstall DX9 that mention Origin or Sims 4 or that happen at the same time as you try to launch the game, click "View technical details," then copy the information and paste it into a reply here.  Sometimes the Reliability Monitor doesn't update right away, so if you don't see any related errors, be sure to check back an hour or two.  The timestamp on the initial chart can also be off by up to an hour, so that's not an entirely reliable metric, but the one within the technical details should be accurate.

Message 10 of 74 (37,032 Views)