Re: Sims 4 not responding as soon as I open it

by buckkiii

Original Post

Sims 4 not responding as soon as I open it

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

So, take 2, as last time didn’t post I believe.

i have been playing for 26 hours in game with no issues.

then my computer crashed midway through the game.

everything else has been working fine after computer restart except for Sims 4.

i was playing the game 45 mins ago fine before the crash.

now, I have been scrolling forums and have done the following:

1- I do not have any Mods or CC’s installed, no intention to use them at all

2- I emptied the Mod file of ‘resource’ file anyways

3- I have repaired it on Origin

4- I have checked for updates

5- I have opened it up through origin offline aswell
6- I have uninstalled and reinstalled Sims 4 as well

7- Have changed the Fullscreen = 0 to Fullscreen = 1 and back again

8- Have moved all files to desktop and tried to run it.

there ar not many more options i can find

when I open it, it just sits on a black screen and when I click on it, it pops up ‘not responding’

Message 1 of 8 (556 Views)

@buckkiii  Just in case it really is that simple, please clear Origin's cache and then repair again.  Sometimes the first repair isn't as thorough as it should be.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please keep testing with a clean Sims 4 user data folder, as in, remove the existing Sims 4 folder from Documents\Electronic Arts, and don't put any of your content into the new folder, at least until the game is working again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (455 Views)

★★ Novice

here is the dxdiag you asked for @puzzlezaddict 

Message 3 of 8 (434 Views)

★★ Novice

So I did your origin cache idea, restarted computer and it didn’t work.

and then I logged out of my computer back to sign in whilst it was glitched to shut it down.

sat there for 30 mins, decided to try and play it again and it Loaded.

and I’m happy it worked this time.. but.. when And if it happens again I’d like to have more of an idea what I did?

Message 4 of 8 (422 Views)

@buckkiii  There are three different kinds of Sims 4-related errors in your dxdiag.  One is pretty obvious: Nahimic and the game don't always get along well.  This tends to change as new versions of each are released: the two become incompatible, then one is patched and sort of works well with the other again, and so on.  The simplest response to this is to find Nahimic in the Task Manager and End Task before you want to play.  If it helps, Nahimic is the issue; if it doesn't, the problem is something else.

The other errors are likely related to your graphics driver and certain Windows optimization functions.  Both can lead to persistent issues, but both can also be a random occurrence that gets fixed the next time you restart your computer.  Have you tried turning it off, then turning it on again? may be a cliche (and kind of rude to say at times), but it does come from somewhere.  Especially if a computer isn't shut down properly, it can fail to properly load drivers or other support software when it boots.  And then all the troubleshooting in the world won't help, until you do a real restart, as in, not Shut Down and turn back on, but Restart.  And some fixes need a restart to take effect.

It's less likely that one restart wouldn't help but the next one would, but still not unheard of.  But when a system goes from running fine to multiple errors, the cause is probably not all the separate processes breaking at the same time.

If you have more issues, feel free to come back with another dxdiag.  Sometimes though, there's no easy way to figure out what went wrong.  As long as it doesn't happen again any time soon, you don't really need to worry too much about it.

Message 5 of 8 (407 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

So it worked great for about 10-12 hours straight.. then the game crashed.. I loaded it straight back up fine, but turns out that Sims 4 doesn’t have an auto save feature... that is really great to know as I lost all my progress for those many many hours...

and then turned the computer off as it was near 1am at that point.. came back now to play it and same thing, I get stuck at black screen, have closed Nahimic and that didn’t work.

Message 6 of 8 (379 Views)

★★ Novice

And then after a restart I tried to open it, didn’t work.. then I closed Nahimic again and it worked... this is so annoying and weird...

Message 7 of 8 (378 Views)

@buckkiii  I don't know exactly what's going on either, but if you want, you can set your computer to create crash dumps, then upload one whenever the game crashes.  Here's how:

• Hit the Windows key, type "command prompt" in the box, right-click on Command Prompt in the search results, and select Run as Administrator
  • In the window, paste "reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\devenv.exe" /v DumpType /d 2 /t REG_DWORD" without the outside quotes into the box, and enter
  • Launch Sims 4, and wait for it to crash, whether you get a long play session or not
  • After it crashes, wait for any crash dialogs to finish
  • Then hit Windows key-R and paste "%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps" without quotes into the box, and enter
  • Upload the last .dmp file to the filehosting site of your choice, and link it here
  • When you want to undo the auto crash log dumps, open Command Prompt as before, paste "reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps" /f" without the outside quotes, and enter.

Personally, I'd feel like a ten hour play session was pushing it even with no evidence of other issues on the computer.  Sims 4 isn't really stable enough to trust that it won't crash in that time.  And I'd definitely save much more often no matter what—even without crashes, you never know when you might want to quit without saving and reload.

Message 8 of 8 (342 Views)