Re: Sims 4 not responding and stuck at initial black screen (2018)

by roberta591

Original Post

@roberta591 are you also talking about The Sims 4?

@bingsoo10 does the game run in full screen? Do you still hear the music playing?

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 11 of 18 (1,970 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Phantomlover1717  Yes I'm talking about Sims4. While much of the game coding has been "refined" for lack of a better word, many routines operate very much like Sims 3. You have a system set up as dual monitor - I NEVER setup a dual monitor system using two different makes (and models) of monitors on any system and more so on a gaming system. This puts more stress on an already stressed system. 44.6Gb of free space is not enough free space for the Windows operating system to work properly without the fact your running a game that creates all kinds of temporary files on an operating system that creates all kinds of temporary files all by itself. Just take the case of downloading a large file. The largest the file can be 22.3Gb if no other files are created. That download file will create a temp file until the download is complete. Upon completion the file is then copied (not moved) to the intended destination. The temp file may or not be deleted at this time. The temp file may never be deleted. That is why I say the Windows operating system bloats - it is what it has always done and each iteration is usually worse then the version before. The user is using Windows 8.1. Microsoft has stopped main support for Windows 8.1 and is now on extended support. While SSD's are nice and fast I don't see many gaming systems being sold with a 240Gb conventional hard drive. The customer tells me they play Sims 4. That means there will be expansion packs. the base game may run correctly but as expansion packs are added the free space on the system device is going to decline. It could (and usually does) get to a point there is not going to be enough free space for the operating system to run correctly. There are advanced techniques that could be used to delay the inevitable but the casual user is not award of the pros and cons of using these techniques. If all you want to do is turn on the computer and install and play games then advanced commands that modify the running of the operating system then I would not advise using advanced techniques as that complicates an already complicated operating system.

Message 12 of 18 (1,960 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
I'm running the games on another hdd that has plenty of sufficient space. I've played Sims 3 before with no issue as well, on this same set up as well.

The game automatically starts fullscreen. I don't hear any music playing.
Message 13 of 18 (1,954 Views)

Could you try a clean boot?
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

And then try right clicking the game in Origin and choose 'repair game'. It seems to be an issue where the game doesn't recognize the graphics card. 

Also I found this older post:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-4-Start-Up-Glitch-amp-Black-Screen/td-p/4507175
From what I can read the solution works both ways. It might be worth the try...

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 14 of 18 (1,949 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I tried all of the above solutions you've recommended @Phantomlover1717. So far no bueno :/

Message 15 of 18 (1,922 Views)

[ Edited ]

@bingsoo10 I looked in to the OS you're running, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro 64-bit, and I've read it can give issue with gaming. I wonder if that might be the case..

What OS does your laptop have?

@roberta591 what do you think of gaming on Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro?

Btw, you could test his theory of two different screens by taking one out, testing the game with just one screen. It might just do the trick.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 16 of 18 (1,902 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Phantomlover1717  There have been some posts about issues with TS3 while running dual monitors. I do not recommend multitasking while trying to frag the enemy. Gaming computers should be able to provide all the resources it can to provide a stable environment for the game software. Computers today have become appliances built with specific purposes in mind. IMO this user should upgrade to Windows 10 to be able to take full advantage of DX12 while gaming if for no no other reason.  Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro is more for business use and may forsake gaming benefits of speed for stability especially in the twilight of its existence. That like using a workstation operating system on a gaming platform (an eight thousand dollar computer that can't run games). Windows 8.1 is now on extended support from Microsoft. What this means is support for new hardware as it comes to market is questionable. Windows 8 had (has) many issues as witnessed by the number of people who lost their jobs. IMO Windows 8 really never got off the ground and support was never that good (kind of like Vista). Microsoft having two flops (Vista and Windows 8.1) means Microsoft has a lot riding on Windows 10 (why else would they give free upgrades Windows 7 and Windows 8 owners) and that Windows 10 will be the last version (I wonder if the people at Microsoft can say that again without laughing) and the Windows operating system will now be a service (does this mean continuous confusion) and there will be no more service packs (just large semi annual updates or a service pack by another name). Microsoft is like the 800 pound gorilla - it does what it wants to do. If you are a gamer you need a nice gaming rig that isn't a nice phone system (I have an old computer running Trixbox).

Message 17 of 18 (1,886 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Phantomlover1717  I usually run into embedded operating systems where stability is a factor. There are usually small footprint computers that are configured to specific tasks. A good example would be a dental office that needed automation where data input and output, billing, appointments and other specific tasks. Embedded operating system like Windows CE are stable and usually have very little maintenance. These systems are in use until something (like a new piece of equipment needing to be integrated into the system) or the client out grows the capabilities of the system (expanding the office, a new partner, etc). At this point a new system may have to be installed so upgrading existing system is not a issue. When an existing system needs to be replaced there is usually a time element and usually one company does not do all the work. Embedded systems are nice if there is no to little change over a long period of time. If you have a client who does frequent changes, an embedded system may not be for them. I used to service an automotive junk yard that had very special telecommunication lines that could not easily work with today's equipment. I've done a couple of airports. I've done a police dispatch center. These are clients with very specific requirements that will probably won't change for a long time once installed. A consumer gaming system is usually outdated in 3 years and may have been upgraded in those 3 years. You can not compare consumer electronics to commercial electronics.

Message 18 of 18 (1,876 Views)