Re: Sims 4 legacy edition has deleted my saved games

by 3M3R13

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 legacy edition has deleted my saved games

★★★ Newbie

The new updates says that saves will transfer over, however my saved games have been deleted?

I had a bunch of challenges running, and have been working on some for over a month.

Really unhappy about this - or is there a way to recover saved files?

Blindly downloaded the new upgrade thinking this was great. Feel really let down by the Sims 4, especially as I have pre-ordered University and now won't even be able to play it.

Message 1 of 37 (13,073 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Hey, I just had this problem (but on a mac) and managed to fix it, by slightly altering what you do to back up a save file (as described here)
Here's what I did (but the Mac version)

1. Go to My Documents.
  2. Open the Electronic Arts folder.
  3. Find The Sims 4 folder (you will see there's a new The Sims 4 Legacy Edition folder too).
  4. Open the file, select all the contents, and copy it.
  5. Paste it into the Legacy edition folder.
  6. Replace the existing files in there with the same name when your computer prompts you to.

My game is now running just fine as it did before I downloaded the legacy edition (ie how it was when I was playing it yesterday haha) - but in case you are worried about corrupting the whole thing, maybe copy the Legacy folder to your desktop just to be safe before you move anything, so you can put it back in case it doesn't work!

Hope this works for you too!!!

View in thread

Message 3 of 37 (13,021 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @WillThereBeWifi 

there's potentially an issue with oneDrive. 

First try to find out which folder your game uses: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder/

Then check the following folders if your saves are in any of these folders:

- documents\electronicarts\the sims 4\saves

- same folder but on oneDrive

Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Legacy Edition\saves

- same folder on oneDrive

You might want to try get a refund for your preorder or just cancel the preorder.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 37 (13,038 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Hey, I just had this problem (but on a mac) and managed to fix it, by slightly altering what you do to back up a save file (as described here)
Here's what I did (but the Mac version)

1. Go to My Documents.
  2. Open the Electronic Arts folder.
  3. Find The Sims 4 folder (you will see there's a new The Sims 4 Legacy Edition folder too).
  4. Open the file, select all the contents, and copy it.
  5. Paste it into the Legacy edition folder.
  6. Replace the existing files in there with the same name when your computer prompts you to.

My game is now running just fine as it did before I downloaded the legacy edition (ie how it was when I was playing it yesterday haha) - but in case you are worried about corrupting the whole thing, maybe copy the Legacy folder to your desktop just to be safe before you move anything, so you can put it back in case it doesn't work!

Hope this works for you too!!!

Message 3 of 37 (13,022 Views)

Sims 4 Legacy Edition deleted all previous saves

★★★ Novice

I downloaded the Legacy Edition for the Sims 4 and when I went to load the game, all of my previous saves had disappeared as if I had completely restarted the whole game. Is this what it was supposed to do? All of my saves which I have worked on for the whole year are just gone. I know they said any saves that were made in a newer edition of the base game would not be compatible but the fact that I haven't made a new save in a good 6-8 months and every single save is gone?? Is there any way for me to get the saves back? 

Message 4 of 37 (12,970 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I went through this exact same thing with mine. It was stressful and it was a bit of a rollercoaster cause when I did what was suggested, I made an error and ended up having to spend way longer fighting with it then I was supposed to.

I copied and pasted the sims4 file data into the sims 4 legacy file just like suggested in the comments and it didn't work because the sims 4 file just moved into the legacy file and didn't replace the legacy data with my saved data from sims 4, so I had to go through every file and copy the data and then go back to legacy to place the data into the correct files.

It was a lot of work and it sucked, but after restarting sims 4 multiple times, eventually it worked. 

It worked for me, so hopefully it will work for you. Good luck! 

Message 5 of 37 (12,889 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Legacy Edition deleted all previous saves

@Player_bh1o2lbe  Look in Documents\Electronic Arts and see whether you have a separate game folder called "The Sims 4 Legacy Edition."  Your old saves may still be in "The Sims 4" as they always have been, in which case you'd just need to move or copy them into the Legacy Edition folder; the same goes for the contents of your Tray folder.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 37 (12,945 Views)

★★★ Novice

I copied the save files into my legacy files as well as the tray files. Got rid of my mods and it still doesn’t work.  Idk what else to do.  Should I reinstall the entire game ! 

Message 7 of 37 (12,669 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Player_bh1o2lbe Hi!

I panicked when I saw it too. The simplest thing to do is go into Documents/Electronic Arts. You'll see Sims 4 and Sims 4 Legacy Edition. In the original Sims 4 folder, copy everything in the Saves folder and paste them into the Legacy Edition's Save folder.
And if you have Mods and CC, you'll have to do the same thing. Copy from the originals and past them in the respective new ones. It should work then.

Happy Simming! Hope this helps.
Message 8 of 37 (12,717 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you! I'm so relieved, I was really angry for a second but im glad everything is restored now

Message 9 of 37 (12,709 Views)

★★★ Novice

I tried this. It’s not working. I don’t know if I did it wrong. My mods showed up but not my save files in game.  I don’t understand. 

Message 10 of 37 (12,585 Views)