Sims 4 launches but stops responding at the main menu

by stab_crab

Original Post

Highlighted

Sims 4 launches but stops responding at the main menu

★★★★ Novice

Hello, recently i have come into an issue with The Sims 4, where i can launch the game, and it will go through the loading screen extremely slowly, but once i hit the main menu it stops responding, I've tried everything i can think of doing, reinstalling the game, repairing the game, removing all of my mods, making a back up and trying to start it with default settings, nothing has worked at all, i know my PC is meeting the minimum requirements because the last time i played it i was getting 30 fps on high settings. Would anyone know how to fix this?

Message 1 of 34 (1,210 Views)

Re: Sims 4 launches but stops responding at the main menu

@stab_crab  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 34 (1,186 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here you go! Sorry for taking so long

Message 3 of 34 (1,175 Views)

@stab_crab  Your dxdiag crashed multiple times when running and is missing most of the critical information, which points to a system issue.  It might not be a big deal, but it's difficult to say without a complete dxdiag.  Please start by running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer and run another dxdiag; hopefully this one will have all the relevant info.

Message 4 of 34 (1,147 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It gets to Image Version: 10.0.19042.1052 and then does nothing.

Message 5 of 34 (1,135 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Oh nevermind, its working

Message 6 of 34 (1,124 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Shoot! I forgot to post the message i got from scannow, sorry! but heres the DxDiag file

Message 7 of 34 (1,107 Views)

@stab_crab  Your dxdiag now lists a couple of crashes of your graphics driver, and those could cause the Sims 4 problem.  Since your driver is over a year old, you can simply install the newest one from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Run the driver as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  I believe you should have the option to do a clean install, especially if you select the custom route or opt to change the default settings; this is a good idea, but don't worry too much if you can't find the option.  Restart your computer after the driver is installed.

If the game still doesn't work, please let me know what antivirus you use.

Message 8 of 34 (1,088 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Still isn't working, the only anti virus i actually use is just windows defender

Message 9 of 34 (1,073 Views)

[ Edited ]

@stab_crab  Do you use OneDrive?  If so, try disabling it, just as a test.  Some files may be removed from your computer and stored only in OneDrive, so please make a copy of anything critical in Documents and store it elsewhere, as in, a different folder on your computer or an external hard drive or USB stick.  (You can also reenable OneDrive and download any missing files, but this way you don't have to take that extra step.)

And just checking, but when you said you made a backup, did you ever move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts?  If not, please try it now.

If that doesn't help, or you don't use OneDrive, please try playing in a new admin user account on your computer.  Make it a local account, as in, don't sign into Microsoft, and don't sync with any other services.  You'll be able to login to your existing Origin account and shouldn't need to download anything, but your saves and other content won't be available.

Message 10 of 34 (1,051 Views)