Re: Sims 4 lagging after GPU update

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 4 lagging after GPU update

★★★ Newbie

I recently updated my laptops AMD Vega 8 drivers to 20.4.2 and my game started dropping from 100 FPS to 9 frequently. My laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad S340, and all my other games such as Overwatch and Valorant run normal after this driver update. Please help!!

Message 1 of 4 (481 Views)

@annamu1  Please open the AMD Crimson control software (you should be able to access it by right-clicking on your desktop), open the profile for TS4_x64.exe, and disable every optimization or other supposedly helpful setting you can find.  If you don't see a profile for TS4_x64, you can create one and then disable all the custom options.  Let me know whether this helps.

If it doesn't, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (437 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I opened the AMD Radeon Software and disabled all the options under the SIms 4 profile. Here is my DxDiag report. Thank you for helping! Standard smile

Message 3 of 4 (403 Views)
Highlighted

@annamu1  The dxdiag doesn't contain any errors directly related to your GPU driver, which is a good thing, but it also makes it more complicated to guess what's going on.  Since you do have a few Windows update failures, it's a good idea to start with a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  Run any you find, restart again, and test the game.

This may do nothing for your low fps though.  If you still get low framerates, please try playing in a clean user data folder, for comparison.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just start a new save and see what fps looks like.  Please test in a few different worlds—you can just have a sim travel—including one or two that are not Evergreen Harbor or San Myshuno.  Let me know what you see.

Your saves and other content will be intact in your old folder but not read by the game for the moment.  You can add back the files later; for now though, it's best to see whether the fps issue has to do with the user data folder or something on your system.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (376 Views)